3g Bonus for 2nd year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3g Bonus for 2nd year

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Secondary market, entering third year, lateralled to this black box firm 6 months before end of "billable year".

Was told that bonus is almost entirely based off of profits, and I was not profitable yet. They said that that makes sense as almost no one is profitable in first 6 months (it takes time to collect bills and whatnot, and I took time off for bar exam). They said they giving me a nominal bonus of 3g. But am getting salary raise since I am progressing accordingly.

How bad did I get fucked?

Is there anything I can do?

Is this normal?

mvp99

Silver

Re: 3g Bonus for 2nd year

Post by mvp99 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Secondary market, entering third year, lateralled to this black box firm 6 months before end of "billable year".

Was told that bonus is almost entirely based off of profits, and I was not profitable yet. They said that that makes sense as almost no one is profitable in first 6 months (it takes time to collect bills and whatnot, and I took time off for bar exam). They said they giving me a nominal bonus of 3g. But am getting salary raise since I am progressing accordingly.

Is this normal?
Its black box so what did you expect?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:51 pm

mvp99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Secondary market, entering third year, lateralled to this black box firm 6 months before end of "billable year".

Is this normal?
is black box synonymous for "we fuck you over by being cheap"?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:

Is this normal?
is black boy synonymous for "we fuck you over by being cheap"?
Dat typo.

And yes. That’s the motto emblazoned in every Jones Day office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:

Is this normal?
is black box synonymous for "we fuck you over by being cheap"?
Dat typo.

fixed. woops :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 pm

What is normal for your firm and market?

Major market for your class year is 25k and assuming the default is prorated for mid year starters unless you negotiate away from it so you were looking at 12.5k even at a major firm in NY/CA/DC/TX. Adjust that down to whatever market is in your secondary and your not meeting the hours requirement (which a profitability requirement effectively is, just dressed up a bit) and 3k kind of sounds reasonable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Do you work at Pepper Hamilton? Because a lot of 2nd years there got less than you, even if they hit hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 pm

2014 wrote:What is normal for your firm and market?

Major market for your class year is 25k and assuming the default is prorated for mid year starters unless you negotiate away from it so you were looking at 12.5k even at a major firm in NY/CA/DC/TX. Adjust that down to whatever market is in your secondary and your not meeting the hours requirement (which a profitability requirement effectively is, just dressed up a bit) and 3k kind of sounds reasonable.

I was told I can expect well into 5 figures next year. To the poster below you, I do not work at pepper Hamilton.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:

Is this normal?
is black boy synonymous for "we fuck you over by being cheap"?
Dat typo.

Possible exception for former SCOTUS clerks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”