1L judicial internship in a specialty court Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L judicial internship in a specialty court

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: 1L judicial internship in a specialty court

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:35 pm

It won't really matter, but why not try to intern for a federal district judge instead? It's a better signaling device for someone interested in patent litigation.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:53 pm

I think you can find a summer externship with a federal district judge somewhere, and I second UVA2B that it's a better signal than the land courts.

It's not tactless to ask a professor for references and help. Assuming you were attentive in class and didn't bomb, the prof will want to help.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:17 pm

That isn't right. 1L SA hiring will continue throughout January (depending on the market. If you were targeting TX, you could very well be out of luck).

But federal judges will continue interviewing for internships for awhile too. It's not too late to get some applications out in hopes of landing something. And while you'd prefer to stay in your city for social life aspects, you should apply back home as well since you won't be getting paid and maybe it's less competitive than the city you're currently in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:38 pm

UVA2B, would you agree with the idea that it's less likely to get a 1L SA gig than a 1L extern for federal judge? I feel like it is based on my observations in law school. If I could do it over, I would have focused on applying to federal judges and other spots rather than waiting to hear from firms, just based on how poorly the 1L SA apps went.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:43 pm

mcmand wrote:UVA2B, would you agree with the idea that it's less likely to get a 1L SA gig than a 1L extern for federal judge? I feel like it is based on my observations in law school. If I could do it over, I would have focused on applying to federal judges and other spots rather than waiting to hear from firms, just based on how poorly the 1L SA apps went.
Obv not UVA2B, but this was my experience. I get the impression that 1L SA gigs are pretty rare, or at least were when I was in school.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:44 pm

mcmand wrote:UVA2B, would you agree with the idea that it's less likely to get a 1L SA gig than a 1L extern for federal judge? I feel like it is based on my observations in law school. If I could do it over, I would have focused on applying to federal judges and other spots rather than waiting to hear from firms, just based on how poorly the 1L SA apps went.
Normally yes, federal judge is much more likely than a 1L SA, but the chances do change when you're talking patent work depending on the strength of the applicant's background and the strength of their law school credentials. If it's a BS in math from a school like, idk, Tulane, then you might want to focus more on federal judges because those STEM credentials aren't likely going to be enough to snag a 1L SA in patent work by themselves and the law school isn't exactly impressive enough to make them a shoo-in for a 1L SA. But if it's a BSEE from Penn or a MSEE from UIUC, they should absolutely try their hand at the 1L SA market first, because the relative short supply of those credentials make 1L SAs a distinct possibility.

Edit: or, you know, you could focus on both paths simultaneously and see what sticks. Applying to SAs and judges only takes so much time.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Normally yes, federal judge is much more likely than a 1L SA, but the chances do change when you're talking patent work depending on the strength of the applicant's background and the strength of their law school credentials. If it's a BS in math from a school like, idk, Tulane, then you might want to focus more on federal judges because those STEM credentials aren't likely going to be enough to snag a 1L SA in patent work by themselves and the law school isn't exactly impressive enough to make them a shoo-in for a 1L SA. But if it's a BSEE from Penn or a MSEE from UIUC, they should absolutely try their hand at the 1L SA market first, because the relative short supply of those credentials make 1L SAs a distinct possibility.

Edit: or, you know, you could focus on both paths simultaneously and see what sticks. Applying to SAs and judges only takes so much time.

Good point about the patent stuff.

Yeah I agree about applying to both. I think OP is paranoid the same way I was of getting an offer from a judge quickly before hearing about an SA gig and having to decline it or accept and then back out.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”