How to handle a job interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Bronze

How to handle a job interview?

Post by L_William_W » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Please, no trolling, facetious remarks, etc. If you don't have any useful advice, don't post in this thread...

After all of the misery of sending in resumes and cover letters only to get rejected for positions that I could do in my sleep, I finally got an interview. One of my friends from law school talked to his boss and said that I'd be a good fit for a position. Basically, I would be drafting documents.including motions. The job is in a NYC suburb. I passed the July 2017 NY bar exam (on attempt #3) and the NYLE, but I'm not officially barred in NY- I still have to submit about 50 documents of paperwork. However, the position doesn't require being admitted in NY.

I'm a high-strung person and I have a stuttering problem. I really want this position since I turn 33 next month, still live with my parents, and owe over $100,000 to the government. In addition, I don't want to make my friend look bad. How should I handle the interview?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: How to handle a job interview?

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Practice interviewing (your law school should have services for alums, or even have your parents/friends ask you questions, or hell, practice in front of a mirror).

Ask your friend about the firm so you can speak intelligently about their practice.

Do your best.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Ask your friend about the firm so you know what you're talking about.

Practice your answers to various questions that you know you'll be asked (e.g "tell me about yourself," "why do you want to work here," "biggest strength/weakness.")

Relax.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Practice and try to relax. It's a conversation, not a performance. Sketch out possible questions and answers, and practice them, but let the actual interview flow more naturally and plug in information about yourself at the right moments. Your friend can practice this with you.

This may be personal, so feel free to not reply, but do you see a speech therapist or psychologist about stuttering? I don't want to assume either way, but maybe your SLP/psychologist can give you tips and tricks on handling interviews. And if you aren't seeing one, it's worth looking into it, they are very helpful!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”