Worried about being at a disadvantage? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worried about being at a disadvantage?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:08 am

I'm currently a 1L who is targeting a different state for this summer (and after graduation) and I am seriously concerned about how late my school is releasing grades. I submitted all of my job applications on December 1st (ones that did not require grades to be sent, but require an updated transcript) to firms that hire a decent amount of 1Ls (yes, I know that I need amazing grades, so I am not counting on this) and various public interest jobs. However, it seems that my school is releasing grades far later than other schools. Will it hurt me if other schools in the same range as mine release grades 1-2 weeks after everyone else and therefore those students can add their transcript to their applications significantly sooner (assuming similar grades)? I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Nagster5

Silver

Re: Worried about being at a disadvantage?

Post by Nagster5 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:28 am

Yes, this will hurt for the many 1L jobs that hire very quickly. Nothing you can do about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 1L who is targeting a different state for this summer (and after graduation) and I am seriously concerned about how late my school is releasing grades. I submitted all of my job applications on December 1st (ones that did not require grades to be sent, but require an updated transcript) to firms that hire a decent amount of 1Ls (yes, I know that I need amazing grades, so I am not counting on this) and various public interest jobs. However, it seems that my school is releasing grades far later than other schools. Will it hurt me if other schools in the same range as mine release grades 1-2 weeks after everyone else and therefore those students can add their transcript to their applications significantly sooner (assuming similar grades)? I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.
This isn't entirely uncommon. Professors are lazy. Columbia released January 15th last year (or thereabouts).

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Out of your hands. Your bigger challenge (depending on where you go to school) will be landing a 1L Summer job in a market that is different from your law school.

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:24 pm

I mean, you'd prefer to get your grades early but what can you do.

My school got our grades by mid January and had 1L OCI in early February I believe last year with callbacks mid Feb. I think I sent out judicial externship applications around the same time, maybe mid/late January?

The 1L job application process is a bit weird by nature.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:02 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Out of your hands. Your bigger challenge (depending on where you go to school) will be landing a 1L Summer job in a market that is different from your law school.
Yeah, I get that it's out of my hands, obviously. I'm just wondering how severe of a disadvantage I am at if my school is releasing so much later. I have pretty good ties and attend a school right outside the T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”