First Year Missed Bonus -- Should I Be Polishing Resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
onionz

Bronze

Re: First Year Missed Bonus -- Should I Be Polishing Resume?

Post by onionz » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm

jkpolk wrote:
onionz wrote:I'm always curious in threads like this--are people posting hours based strictly on "paid" work, or anything the firm considers billable from an associate perspective? (i.e., pro bono work, writing alert memos or other biz-dev-y stuff). I assume it's strictly "paid" work, as the 1350 figure would be super low all in. For example, about 1/5 of my total hours are for pro bono and other biz dev items. As far as I'm concerned, if a partner asks me to do something, I'll do it and it's immaterial to me whether it's for a paying client or something else. But my firm also doesn't have any sort of target billables of any sort so maybe that's part of my misunderstanding.
Alot of corporate juniors dont do any of that pro bono/biz dev stuff. biz dev at v50 corporate as a junior is not happening unless you're coming from a business career or are otherwise connected as fuck (you went to an M7, your parents are rich/famous, etc.). pro bono is a tough sell because you can go 0 to 100 so quickly on actual work - biting off serious pro bono and then getting fucked when a few deals hit at once is a mistake you only need to make once.
Ah, sounds like I also didn't appreciate the lit. v. corporate differences either. Interesting insights, thanks.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:05 pm

jkpolk wrote:
onionz wrote:I'm always curious in threads like this--are people posting hours based strictly on "paid" work, or anything the firm considers billable from an associate perspective? (i.e., pro bono work, writing alert memos or other biz-dev-y stuff). I assume it's strictly "paid" work, as the 1350 figure would be super low all in. For example, about 1/5 of my total hours are for pro bono and other biz dev items. As far as I'm concerned, if a partner asks me to do something, I'll do it and it's immaterial to me whether it's for a paying client or something else. But my firm also doesn't have any sort of target billables of any sort so maybe that's part of my misunderstanding.
Alot of corporate juniors dont do any of that pro bono/biz dev stuff. biz dev at v50 corporate as a junior is not happening unless you're coming from a business career or are otherwise connected as fuck (you went to an M7, your parents are rich/famous, etc.). pro bono is a tough sell because you can go 0 to 100 so quickly on actual work - biting off serious pro bono and then getting fucked when a few deals hit at once is a mistake you only need to make once.
What is “M7”?

EliotAlderson

New

Post by EliotAlderson » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:07 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
jkpolk wrote:
What is “M7”?
Business school (MBA) version of T14

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:11 am

1350 is really low. I think you need to be hitting at least 1700 or 1800 to stick around next year. But the substance of your review is obviously great. I'd focus on hitting the ground running this year and getting your hours up. If you do that, I think you'll be fine.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 pm

jkpolk wrote:
Juniors at my firm do plenty of business development hours, but that just means we're building a deck for a potential client or something, not exactly wining and dining them with the partners.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm

Cobretti wrote:
jkpolk wrote:
Juniors at my firm do plenty of business development hours, but that just means we're building a deck for a potential client or something, not exactly wining and dining them with the partners.
Possible just a different mentality/focus re pitches between firms. It's true, it happens, but I think "putting together decks for pitches" is probably under 25 hours yearly per junior at the places i've been (with 25 being a generous upward bound). marketing department handles a lot of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”