Biglaw Clothing Budget Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Clothing Budget

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Two questions:

(1) How much did you spend to build an initial work wardrobe?

(2) Once you have a starter work wardrobe, how much do you spend per year adding to it and replacing old stuff?

My answer to (1): $2.5 K-ish on shirts, pants, shoes, overcoat/jackets. Used old suits for 2 years.

My answer to (2): $2K.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Biglaw Clothing Budget

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 pm

This answer will vary depending male or female. But you're on the higher end of things, even if (for a male) you're shopping at Brooks Brothers, especially for yearly maintenance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Two questions:

(2) Once you have a starter work wardrobe, how much do you spend per year adding to it and replacing old stuff?

My answer to (1): $2.5 K-ish on shirts, pants, shoes, overcoat/jackets. Used old suits for 2 years.

This is super-regional. If you're in a more casual field (tech/venture, for instance) you will rarely wear suits. Not nearly as expensive day-to-day.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Two questions:

This is super-regional. If you're in a more casual field (tech/venture, for instance) you will rarely wear suits. Not nearly as expensive day-to-day.
I agree. Super regional. I used a handful of shirts, a couple pairs of pants and a pair of shoes from my SA and probably spent about 2K supplementing, including a suit I basically never needed, as I'm in tech/venture. Since then I've probably spent like $500 per year. My clothes are probably in pretty bad shape up close but really I don't think anyone has noticed. I'm still over-dressed here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”