2L Invited to Firm Holiday Party - What to Wear? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Invited to Firm Holiday Party - What to Wear?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:33 pm

I am a woman and was invited to the firm holiday party, along with others who accepted SA positions. It is in SF and at a bar/restaurant.

What do women wear to these? Is a dark, modest, cocktail dress appropriate? Thanks.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: 2L Invited to Firm Holiday Party - What to Wear?

Post by rpupkin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a woman and was invited to the firm holiday party, along with others who accepted SA positions. It is in SF and at a bar/restaurant.

What do women wear to these? Is a dark, modest, cocktail dress appropriate? Thanks.
Yes, that attire sounds appropriate. Also, don't feel like you need to go if you don't want to. I usually feel sorry for the 2L future-SAs who show up at our holiday parties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 am

I am a 3L who was invited to my Biglaw firm’s holiday party. I didn’t summer there. Would a long sleeve, just above the knee, v neck red velvet cocktail dress with some sequins at the waist be too much? I thought it was a modest but still festive “holiday” outfit. Or will everyone be in black and navy and I’ll stick our in a bad way? I don’t want them to think I’m eccentric and give off a weird vibe since I didn’t summer there.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 am

I wouldn’t over think any of this. I also wouldn’t bank on anyone remembering anything about your presence (or lack of presence) at the party. If you want to go, Wear whatever, show up for an hour, and head home.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:57 am

I definitely, definitely did not attend any of these in law school. It strikes me as weird to go before you actually work there, unless you’re at a small or midsized form.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 am

Seriously, don't overthink the dress code. If it is something you are comfortable in and would wear out to a niceish dinner/date (think good restaurant and theatre or the like) then you are totally fine. No one will likely really notice, nor will they remember when you come back for your SA/job (unless you make a really poor choice, which you will not because you are a normal human).

Our parties run the spectrum. Have seen a partner show up wearing air jordans and a sport coat, have seen a different partners date's underwear when she sat down for dinner (not that you could not already see then through the thin, tight dress... what the poor girl had to do for those red bottom shoes she was wearing). Have seen people (mix of associates and partners) get beyond shit-faced. I do not, however, remember what anyone else wore, ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”