Big Law Bonus and Notice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law Bonus and Notice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm accepted a new job that requires me to start in January (non-negotiable start date). Given the timing of when my firm proposes to pay out bonuses, if I gave notice on the exact date bonuses are paid I could give a full 2 weeks notice. The problem is it that it's also a day when I won't be in the office (its shortly before Xmas and I'll be traveling). As I see it I have 3 options: (i) give notice via email on the day bonuses are paid out; (ii) give notice in person when I am back in the office (which would mean giving about 1.5 weeks notice instead of 2); or (iii) giving notice in person the day before the bonuses are paid out and just assume the firm wouldn't be petty enough to try to revoke my direct deposit 12 hours before its paid. I'm leaning towards option 3, but wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I'd also be leaving for a prominent firm client which I would expect might soften the blow of me leaving somewhat (not sure if that's relevant).

Anonymous User

Re: Big Law Bonus and Notice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm accepted a new job that requires me to start in January (non-negotiable start date). Given the timing of when my firm proposes to pay out bonuses, if I gave notice on the exact date bonuses are paid I could give a full 2 weeks notice. The problem is it that it's also a day when I won't be in the office (its shortly before Xmas and I'll be traveling). As I see it I have 3 options: (i) give notice via email on the day bonuses are paid out; (ii) give notice in person when I am back in the office (which would mean giving about 1.5 weeks notice instead of 2); or (iii) giving notice in person the day before the bonuses are paid out and just assume the firm wouldn't be petty enough to try to revoke my direct deposit 12 hours before its paid. I'm leaning towards option 3, but wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I'd also be leaving for a prominent firm client which I would expect might soften the blow of me leaving somewhat (not sure if that's relevant).
One other factor you might want to consider is any vacation time you have accrued. I have never worked in big law so I don't know how that works, but I had to leave a job with a weeks notice and lost a lot of vacation time I would have been paid out if I had given two weeks. Given how high big law salaries are, if you do get paid out vacation time that could be almost as big a consideration as a bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:18 pm

given that you're going to a client, I would opt for (ii). What are they actually going to do if you only have 1.5 weeks to close out matters.

Relatedly, would the calculus change for someone who is getting their check cut and mailed? My bonus won't be direct deposited. Want to give notice before check clears in my account. Somehow doubt firm would be petty enough to do this, but you never know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote: One other factor you might want to consider is any vacation time you have accrued. I have never worked in big law so I don't know how that works, but I had to leave a job with a weeks notice and lost a lot of vacation time I would have been paid out if I had given two weeks. Given how high big law salaries are, if you do get paid out vacation time that could be almost as big a consideration as a bonus.
I have 8 or so accrued vacation days (so roughly 1.5 weeks of pay), but I'm senior enough where my bonus is expected to be close to 6 figures. Given the circumstances the bonus is clearly a far bigger consideration than the accrued vacation here, but appreciate the thought.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:given that you're going to a client, I would opt for (ii). What are they actually going to do if you only have 1.5 weeks to close out matters.

Relatedly, would the calculus change for someone who is getting their check cut and mailed? My bonus won't be direct deposited. Want to give notice before check clears in my account. Somehow doubt firm would be petty enough to do this, but you never know.
I would think that once the check is mailed out its a done deal and its yours. Voiding the check after the fact seems insanely petty (even for a law firm).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: One other factor you might want to consider is any vacation time you have accrued. I have never worked in big law so I don't know how that works, but I had to leave a job with a weeks notice and lost a lot of vacation time I would have been paid out if I had given two weeks. Given how high big law salaries are, if you do get paid out vacation time that could be almost as big a consideration as a bonus.
I have 8 or so accrued vacation days (so roughly 1.5 weeks of pay), but I'm senior enough where my bonus is expected to be close to 6 figures. Given the circumstances the bonus is clearly a far bigger consideration than the accrued vacation here, but appreciate the thought.
Looking at potential downsides, option 3 is the only option I would not do in any circumstances.

mecarey

New

Post by mecarey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm accepted a new job that requires me to start in January (non-negotiable start date). Given the timing of when my firm proposes to pay out bonuses, if I gave notice on the exact date bonuses are paid I could give a full 2 weeks notice. The problem is it that it's also a day when I won't be in the office (its shortly before Xmas and I'll be traveling). As I see it I have 3 options: (i) give notice via email on the day bonuses are paid out; (ii) give notice in person when I am back in the office (which would mean giving about 1.5 weeks notice instead of 2); or (iii) giving notice in person the day before the bonuses are paid out and just assume the firm wouldn't be petty enough to try to revoke my direct deposit 12 hours before its paid. I'm leaning towards option 3, but wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I'd also be leaving for a prominent firm client which I would expect might soften the blow of me leaving somewhat (not sure if that's relevant).
I would probably give notice via email after the bonus hits your bank account, and add in the email that you will be more than happy to discuss in person when you are back in the office? Then you're not putting a large amount of money at risk on the assumption that the firm won't be petty about things, but also adding in that personal touch.

There is also the option of sending in the email to formalize the notice, and following up with a phone call. Again, adding that personal touch avoids burning bridges. It helps that you have the job starting in exactly two weeks, because that can help deflect that you gave notice on the day bonuses were paid. Focus on that aspect ("I have to start two weeks from today, so here is my two week notice") and use it to deflect any anger over the bonus thing if it happens.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:38 pm

mecarey wrote:
I would probably give notice via email after the bonus hits your bank account, and add in the email that you will be more than happy to discuss in person when you are back in the office? Then you're not putting a large amount of money at risk on the assumption that the firm won't be petty about things, but also adding in that personal touch.

There is also the option of sending in the email to formalize the notice, and following up with a phone call. Again, adding that personal touch avoids burning bridges. It helps that you have the job starting in exactly two weeks, because that can help deflect that you gave notice on the day bonuses were paid. Focus on that aspect ("I have to start two weeks from today, so here is my two week notice) and use it to deflect any anger over the bonus thing if it happens.
I think this is the best answer so far. My only addition is that I could call first and send a follow-up email after.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 am

Bumping this thread to ask: in the experience of those giving notice in biglaw is there any meaningful difference in terms of optics in giving notice the day bonuses are paid (after verifying direct deposit in bank account) versus the next business day?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread to ask: in the experience of those giving notice in biglaw is there any meaningful difference in terms of optics in giving notice the day bonuses are paid (after verifying direct deposit in bank account) versus the next business day?
OP here, I ended up putting my notice in via email on the day they were paid (after verifying direct deposit). I'm sure optically that raised a few eyebrows, but ever since I told people I was going to a firm client, everyone has been far too busy kissing my ass and telling me how much they've always loved working with me to say anything about it <eye roll>. Maybe the reaction would have been different had I jumped ship to a new firm, but my sense is that the partners know the deal and won't get too worked up about a resignation shortly after bonuses are paid.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread to ask: in the experience of those giving notice in biglaw is there any meaningful difference in terms of optics in giving notice the day bonuses are paid (after verifying direct deposit in bank account) versus the next business day?
OP here, I ended up putting my notice in via email on the day they were paid (after verifying direct deposit). I'm sure optically that raised a few eyebrows, but ever since I told people I was going to a firm client, everyone has been far too busy kissing my ass and telling me how much they've always loved working with me to say anything about it <eye roll>. Maybe the reaction would have been different had I jumped ship to a new firm, but my sense is that the partners know the deal and won't get too worked up about a resignation shortly after bonuses are paid.
Well yeah they'll make that bonus up 10 times over with business from your new employer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”