Polsinelli Healthcare Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Polsinelli Healthcare Law

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Looking for opinions on working with Polsinelli and their healthcare practice?

Anonymous User

Re: Polsinelli Healthcare Law

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 pm

2L here, interviewed with them earlier this fall. my understanding is previous healthcare work experience or credentials are prereq's for that practice

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:58 pm

If you are a student, you need to have either significant prior healthcare work experience or have attended certain school programs (SLU Health law is one) that the firm has basically vetted as sufficient experience. They won't put you into the "healthcare" group otherwise. You can and will still work on many healthcare related deals/litigation matters if you do join, just not on the regulatory side.

If you are already a graduate, need to have some prior healthcare work. I've never seen someone lateral into the healthcare group with no prior healthcare experience.

If you are just looking for general opinions, it's a very good group and always looking to grow. I think most are in Chicago/St louis/KC. Happy to try and help otherwise.

Source: work there, not in healthcare group though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:14 am

general question and not specific to polsinelli. how do get relevant healthcare experience? i seen entry level positions that require some experience, but then you need the entry level position to get experience. how exactly do you break in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:13 am

I'm not at Polsinelli but I am a midlevel associate at a peer healthcare firm.
Anonymous User wrote:general question and not specific to polsinelli. how do get relevant healthcare experience? i seen entry level positions that require some experience, but then you need the entry level position to get experience. how exactly do you break in?
Generally, if you don't have pre-law healthcare work experience we look at what you did in law school. What courses did you take? What internships and summer positions? Have you written on healthcare matters? Do you know the difference between HIPPA and HIPAA? Do you have another degree (e.g. MHA or MPH)?

You can also gain experience by working as a consultant, or for state and local health departments, nonprofits, hospitals, ancillary providers, etc. Spend some time looking at bios of associates at reputable health care firms (Chambers bands work as a decent proxy) and you'll start to see paths.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:general question and not specific to polsinelli. how do get relevant healthcare experience? i seen entry level positions that require some experience, but then you need the entry level position to get experience. how exactly do you break in?
I’m now in a healthcare group even though I had no thought of the field when I left law school. Randomly, I was staffed on a bunch of FCA cases, antitrust cases, class actions, and other cases that dealt with healthcare, and I was able to sell that as healthcare experience when I lateralled. Obviously some luck was involved there. But I don’t think it’s that rare to have healthcare cases. Healthcare is such a huge part of the economy that it’s almost inevitable that a biglaw general practice group will have something touching on healthcare. Be the guy that raises his hand when that work comes in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”