How Bad is Doc Review REALLY? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Bad is Doc Review REALLY?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi everyone, hoping for some insight.

Just stared as a first year in September, and while my hours were pretty intense 2L summer and rough up until now, 90% of the work was substantive and fairly interesting.

Don't think I've had any major screw ups- asked for clarification twice, and misunderstood directions once which led to about five hours of wasted time (my time, but partner wasn't exactly pleased), but other than that I think I've fared pretty well.

Just informed that I'll be on a doc review assignment for the next 11 weeks- I was told she HAD to provide someone, so I was the one.

Two questions- how bad is it REALLY? And should I be worried that my performance is poor? Or did I jut draw the short straw?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: How Bad is Doc Review REALLY?

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Honestly. I love it. Easy hours and mindless so I could just marathon episodes of the Office. I haven't gotten to do doc review since my first year and I miss it a lot.

I'd honestly love a job with just doc review if I werent worreid about career progression.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Probably a combination of short straw, early screw-up, and new person AKA low man on the totem pole.

A day of doc review is a break.

A week of doc review is easy billables.

Three weeks of doc review made me want to shoot myself in the face.

Take that for whatever it's worth. Mindless work is fine for a little while, but it turns terrible in relatively short order.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:57 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Probably a combination of short straw, early screw-up, and new person AKA low man on the totem pole.

A day of doc review is a break.

A week of doc review is easy billables.

Three weeks of doc review made me want to shoot myself in the face.

Take that for whatever it's worth. Mindless work is fine for a little while, but it turns terrible in relatively short order.
This is pretty spot on, except I don't even like a week of doc review. A day or two is all I can handle before I start going insane.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone, hoping for some insight.

Just stared as a first year in September, and while my hours were pretty intense 2L summer and rough up until now, 90% of the work was substantive and fairly interesting.

Don't think I've had any major screw ups- asked for clarification twice, and misunderstood directions once which led to about five hours of wasted time (my time, but partner wasn't exactly pleased), but other than that I think I've fared pretty well.

Just informed that I'll be on a doc review assignment for the next 11 weeks- I was told she HAD to provide someone, so I was the one.

Two questions- how bad is it REALLY? And should I be worried that my performance is poor? Or did I jut draw the short straw?
Is this "do 4 hours a day for three months" doc review or "lock you in a windowless conference room for 3 months" doc review? The former is manageable and can even be interesting, depending on the assigned matter. The latter is a special kind of hell, but one that most junior associates will suffer through at one point or another.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:26 pm

deepseapartners wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone, hoping for some insight.

Is this "do 4 hours a day for three months" doc review or "lock you in a windowless conference room for 3 months" doc review? The former is manageable and can even be interesting, depending on the assigned matter. The latter is a special kind of hell, but one that most junior associates will suffer through at one point or another.
OP here, I think this will be my only project I'm staffed on. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Like diligence, I found it very easy and stress free. It might be the easiest hours you will ever bill at a biglaw firm.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:36 pm

11weeks is a lot. Would've been nicer after you'd had like 6 or 7 hard months.

BayCat24

New

Post by BayCat24 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:04 pm

If I could get paid 180k to do doc review for 10 hours each day, I would take that job in a heartbeat over my current 3rd year Big Law job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 pm

BayCat24 wrote:If I could get paid 180k to do doc review for 10 hours each day, I would take that job in a heartbeat over my current 3rd year Big Law job.
No kidding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:23 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
BayCat24 wrote:If I could get paid 180k to do doc review for 10 hours each day, I would take that job in a heartbeat over my current 3rd year Big Law job.
No kidding
But why are you assuming it's only 10 hours a day?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 pm

A little bit of doc review is good because it's not stressful. A full day of doc review is boring. I would not choose 10 hours of doc review over 10 hours of normal 3rd year associate work except maybe for one day to relax at work.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 am

I would try to find something else to do as well. You do not want to spend 11 weeks on nothing but doc review and although you won't be good at anything as a first year, at a certain point you will start to fall behind expectations if you don't get some other experience. It's too early to be too concerned, but being the brand new associate stuck on full time doc review for 3 months is not getting off on the best foot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AspiringAspirant

New

Post by AspiringAspirant » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:57 am

This must be associate-dependent, because I can't relate at all to some of these posts. I felt myself legitimately going insane after a few days of doc review; I could not fathom doing it all the time. Time went by soooo slow, and you're not developing at all professionally. But to each their own

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

See if you can’t pick up work from someone else and then supplement that work with the doc review.

For your sanity.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 pm

I hate it and I have probably done less than 20 since starting. I know people who call it bill and chill or whatever but time passes so slow and you gain no skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:42 am

jd20132013 wrote:
No kidding
Same here. Doing doc review is infinitely better than being a midlevel/senior associate in biglaw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:49 pm

I was being sarcastic

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Yeah doc review really isn't that bad if you're also doing other things at the same time. Granted I've only been working for a couple of months, but about 30% of my time rn is spent on doc review and I don't mind it. Easy billable, somewhat interesting - it's a good gap filler when I have nothing urgent to do.

Would probably go crazy if that's all I did for 3 months though.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:53 pm

i would probably distinguish a bit between like

a: doc review where you are a hired gun and some existing team just needs bodies to churn through a zillion documents

b: doc review where you are lowest on the totem pole but you're getting on the team on the ground floor, the database is a manageable quantity, and you can stay on and leverage knowing the facts to become the point person for other, more substantive stuff

thinking all doc review is type a means potentially missing opportunities

...but this one definitely sounds like it, so, sorry op. good luck.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 pm

AspiringAspirant wrote:This must be associate-dependent, because I can't relate at all to some of these posts. I felt myself legitimately going insane after a few days of doc review; I could not fathom doing it all the time. Time went by soooo slow, and you're not developing at all professionally. But to each their own
I'm like you, but I think some people would rather just have "easy hours" and don't care about developing professionally as long as they can keep collecting that paycheck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:Yeah doc review really isn't that bad if you're also doing other things at the same time. Granted I've only been working for a couple of months, but about 30% of my time rn is spent on doc review and I don't mind it. Easy billable, somewhat interesting - it's a good gap filler when I have nothing urgent to do.

Would probably go crazy if that's all I did for 3 months though.
I’m in this category - albeit a bit less than 30% - and it’s great. Absolutely don’t want to be doing this in a year, but it’s been a good way to keep hours up and limit first year stress. Also, in my limited experience, a lot of the more “important” assignments don’t offer much in the way of professional development (esp. as a first year) but are infinitely more stressful.

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:00 pm

OP, I think you're fine. It's not unusual to do doc review in a stub year and it is good experience to get (at least for a little while). Someday you might be managing other people doing doc review (either associates or temp reviewers) and it can't hurt to have some experience of what doc review is like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:20 am

The truly terrible doc-review-all-the-time jobs are all done by staff attorneys and/or computers these days. Doc review is much less awful for junior associates now than it was twenty, ten or even five years ago.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 am

I'm currently on my first big doc review assignment. I have two weeks to go through 718 documents (about 5,000 pages) and it's been the easiest thing ever to pad my hours. I basically just do other stuff all day and then go over docs from 4:30 until I feel like leaving. I also do it from home while I'm watching soccer/college football.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”