law firm nepotism policy?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

law firm nepotism policy??

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi, I'm a 4th year at a V10. My younger sister is a 1L this year, and I was wondering if it's ethically appropriate to send her resume and other materials to recruiting, or ask a partner to review and recommend her to recruiting for a summer associate position? How about for upcoming OCI next summer: has anyone forwarded their sibling's materials to their firm for hiring purposes?

jhett

Bronze

Re: law firm nepotism policy??

Post by jhett » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:48 pm

You can ask HR for their specific policy about the hiring of relatives.

Generally speaking though, what you are suggesting is not nepotism as your sister still has to clear all the hiring hurdles. Nepotism is when someone (generally a partner, as associates do not have much pull) gives preferential treatment to a friend or relative that is being hired. Since you have no power in the actual hiring decision, it would not be considered nepotism.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I'm a 4th year at a V10. My younger sister is a 1L this year, and I was wondering if it's ethically appropriate to send her resume and other materials to recruiting, or ask a partner to review and recommend her to recruiting for a summer associate position? How about for upcoming OCI next summer: has anyone forwarded their sibling's materials to their firm for hiring purposes?
It is 100% appropriate. I'm not even sure what you think is inappropriate about that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:52 pm

some firms strictly prohibit relatives from working at the same firm though so make sure to check with policies on that

aspire2esquire

New

Post by aspire2esquire » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:50 pm

You are the sibling of the year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mohdban

Bronze

Post by mohdban » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Can you adopt me?

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Have my doubts you are actually a 4th year if you think there is anything like a "nepotism policy" at a law firm...

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:some firms strictly prohibit relatives from working at the same firm though so make sure to check with policies on that
What? Pease name a firm that does this. That seem ridiculous and counter productive.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Right2BearArms wrote:Have my doubts you are actually a 4th year if you think there is anything like a "nepotism policy" at a law firm...
Some firms have anti-nepotism policies, though the ones I've heard about wouldn't apply to OP's situation.

It's not a stupid question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:20 pm

Right2BearArms wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some firms strictly prohibit relatives from working at the same firm though so make sure to check with policies on that
What? Pease name a firm that does this. That seem ridiculous and counter productive.
I believe that Latham has (or at least used to have) a rule that prevented spouses/relatives from becoming partners.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Right2BearArms wrote:
You can't think of any non-ridiculous reasons why a business would prohibit close relatives from working at the same place?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:42 pm

3/3 on big law firms that i've worked at with anti-nepotism policies - i dont think any applied to siblings fwiw.

puppylaw

New

Post by puppylaw » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:51 pm

Quick call to HR should sort this out. I've heard of firms with very strict nepotism policies that would need management-committee approval to hire a relative. And it wouldn't happen for a generic 2L summer associate. I've also heard of firms with no set policies that have parent-child, husband-wife, or sibling pairs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:34 am

rpupkin wrote:
Right2BearArms wrote:Have my doubts you are actually a 4th year if you think there is anything like a "nepotism policy" at a law firm...
Some firms have anti-nepotism policies, though the ones I've heard about wouldn't apply to OP's situation.

It's not a stupid question.
Yeah they 100% exist.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:15 am

Except for the fact that there are. A friend of mine's father was an influential partner at a biglaw firm, and his father had to retire before my friend could join the firm because of the firm's anti-nepotism policy.
Last edited by lavarman84 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:05 am

My firm has one, although it's way less rigid than some of the ones described here (no spouses or immediate relatives in the same practice group, and under no circumstances can a spouse or immediate family member have a supervisory relationship over another on the same matter). I can think of at least one married couple who work in the same office, as well as a parent (very senior partner) and child (senior associate) who work at the firm.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:54 am

Before law school I was thinking about paralegal jobs and the policy at my brother's biglaw firm was that I couldn't be hired to work in his office but I could work in a different office. So there are some nepotism policies that apply to siblings.

Anyway I'd just ask HR, but I just wanted to provide some info from personal experience.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawSchoolAlum

New

Post by LawSchoolAlum » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:28 am

Just put in a good word for your sister. In the unlikely event there's an anti-nepotism policy you will find out, and nothing bad will happen. You won't lose your job or anything. To the contrary, the hiring partner might give you a lead at another firm you can pass on to your sister.

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Huh, learned something.

OP, check with HR, should be easy to clear up.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 pm

Right2BearArms wrote:Huh, learned something.

OP, check with HR, should be easy to clear up.
LOL @ your gratuitous advice. You're not going to apologize for mocking OP when you had no idea what you were talking about?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”