Google Images Perhaps Causing me Some Problems Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Google Images Perhaps Causing me Some Problems

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:03 pm

So there are several reasons why I struck out.

But one associate from I firm I interviewed with had at least the good-nature to inform me that upon google'ing my name a picture of me in college ( > 7 years ago) shows up with me holding a shot glass and a bottle of vodka.

I took it off Facebook in my senior year of college, but it was connected to other social media profiles of mine that I don't even use. I've obviously taken it down everything now, BUT there's a cached perma link if the jpg. so it still appears on Google. I submitted a request to Google that's pending, but apparently they wont take shit like this down unless the social media site agrees to because technically its still on their site due to the photo being cached.

FWIW I've had some experienced people tell me to just suck it as lawyers understand people party, but obviously i should still try and get it removed.

How much time should I spend on this harassing google/the social media page to take it down before giving up.

thebrownnote

Bronze

Re: Google Images Perhaps Causing me Some Problems

Post by thebrownnote » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:06 pm

At this point if you think it's costing you jobs, I'd say you should not give up on getting it removed. I know people who have paid for one of those companies that bury search results. Probably worth doing that if nothing else works.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So there are several reasons why I struck out.

But one associate from I firm I interviewed with had at least the good-nature to inform me that upon google'ing my name a picture of me in college ( > 7 years ago) shows up with me holding a shot glass and a bottle of vodka.
There may be several reasons that you struck you, but this isn't one of them.

If it personally bothers you that this image is out there, then go ahead and see what you can do about it. But it's not going to affect your job prospects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:45 pm

I don't see why this pic is a problem.

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:52 am

I took it off Facebook in my senior year of college, but it was connected to other social media profiles of mine that I don't even use. I've obviously taken it down everything now, BUT there's a cached perma link if the jpg. so it still appears on Google. I submitted a request to Google that's pending, but apparently they wont take shit like this down unless the social media site agrees to because technically its still on their site due to the photo being cached.

FWIW I've had some experienced people tell me to just suck it as lawyers understand people party, but obviously i should still try and get it removed.

How much time should I spend on this harassing google/the social media page to take it down before giving up.
First of all, I don't know anyone who seriously Googles candidates prior to an interview. I'm lucky to skim the resume half the time. Maybe recruiting does, but I'd be surprised.

Second of all, even if that were the case, unless you got unlucky with an uptight recruiter or hiring partner, nobody is going to care. In fact, it'd probably be a point in your favor in this profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:54 am

If I find something interesting on a resume sometimes I will google an applicant. This picture would not have bothered me, unless possibly if it reinforced a negative trait that was suggested in your resume or by the interview. That may not be completely fair because I have dumb college pictures too, but it is what it is.

I highly doubt that this alone is a major issue.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:32 am

I don’t think anyone can responsibly answer this question unless you post the pic.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 am

sublime wrote:If I find something interesting on a resume sometimes I will google an applicant. This picture would not have bothered me, unless possibly if it reinforced a negative trait that was suggested in your resume or by the interview. That may not be completely fair because I have dumb college pictures too, but it is what it is.

I agree that lawyers won't care.

However, I think OP should still get it removed because I can see the recruiting departments caring about this stuff.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:38 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
sublime wrote:If I find something interesting on a resume sometimes I will google an applicant. This picture would not have bothered me, unless possibly if it reinforced a negative trait that was suggested in your resume or by the interview. That may not be completely fair because I have dumb college pictures too, but it is what it is.

However, I think OP should still get it removed because I can see the recruiting departments caring about this stuff.
It can leave a negative impression on me depending on how "bad" the picture is (as described, it might not be terrible), but I don't think I'd ding someone just for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:37 pm

lolwat wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:

It can leave a negative impression on me depending on how "bad" the picture is (as described, it might not be terrible), but I don't think I'd ding someone just for that.
yeah i supposed it depends on the person. I was in a fraternity in college so I might be desensitized.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:34 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
lolwat wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:

yeah i supposed it depends on the person. I was in a fraternity in college so I might be desensitized.
Don't the recruiting people also have a large role in the offer/ding decision? I understand attorneys don't care but recruiters matter, no?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Don't the recruiting people also have a large role in the offer/ding decision?
It varies, but generally no.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:40 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Don't the recruiting people also have a large role in the offer/ding decision?
It varies, but generally no.
Biggest variance - imo - is where you go to school. If you go to most t14 schools where OCI is a lottery system, the recruting folks don't get much say as to who is interviewed. Every other school, where OCI is based on preselects, recruiting has a TON of power as they are the people screening applications (same with mass mail). Granted, they are doing this based off of firm guidelines or whatever, it is ultimately recruiting who dings the vast majority of applicants.

That said, once you get to interviewing stage (like OP), I don't think recruiting gets much (if any) say.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”