if one accepts a position starting in , say, August 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

if one accepts a position starting in , say, August 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:07 am

When do I have to give notice from big law? Obviously need to ensure u get bonus
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mecarey

New

Re: if one accepts a position starting in , say, August 2018

Post by mecarey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:25 am

Typically you don't want to give much more than a two-week notice, absent special circumstances where you KNOW you won't be replaced before your notice window is up. Protect your job! If you give notice two months out and they find a replacement for you after two weeks, then you just lost yourself six weeks of employment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Two weeks seems a little close but I take your point. Any potential issues with sitting on the news ?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:40 pm

I would just be reasonable. Two weeks is minimum but if you want to avoid burning bridges I would go for more. Unless the firm is slow, it sucks when people leave on short notice because you just know they've probably left behind a ton of work that needs to get done. You definitely don't need to give notice 10 months out if you've already accepted the position starting in 8/18, but I'd probably give a month or two depending on how things are going to give everyone time to transition. You run the risk of being pushed out earlier rather than later, but if that happens, just enjoy the extra few weeks you have off. Treat it as a totally relaxed, uninterrupted vacation knowing you'll have a biglaw job when you get back; you just won't get paid during that vacation. (Just make sure you've saved up enough that you can take care of the rent and other expenses for those few unpaid weeks.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:53 pm

This would be a fellowship-type position (trying to keep it general), not another firm, if it matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”