ID attorney interviewing at big firm - advice needed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ICFMFWIWY

New

ID attorney interviewing at big firm - advice needed

Post by ICFMFWIWY » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks.
Last edited by ICFMFWIWY on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver

Re: ID attorney interviewing at big firm - advice needed

Post by lolwat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:07 pm

For jr. attys., litigation is litigation, really. I would guess they brought you in for an interview because your credentials were good enough and they were interested in the skillset you picked up at your ID firm. I doubt anybody expects you to know the particular niche area of healthcare litigation, but you should probably try to demonstrate your interest in it, or at least explain why you're interested in it.

I suppose if it comes up you could say you're happy to come in at a lower class year. I don't directly know how that works but it's apparently a thing with biglaw. I wouldn't offer that though.

I also wouldn't sell yourself in the way you mentioned. Everyone wants to say they work hard, regardless of whether it's true or not, and the rest of it comes across as a little desperate.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean about going "all in" at the interview. If you really want the job, you should treat this like any other interview, and sell yourself by honestly highlighting your experience/skill-set and how that would be useful to the group/firm. DEFINITELY tell them about your insurance experience, but talk about how it would translate to what you would do as a litigator. Be courteous and a likeable human being that they would like to work with. As general interview advice, I wouldn't come in giving them an extremely personal story about marriage, family, debt, etc...I'd also be hesitant to issue out promises about how you'll exceed billable hours - this just isn't necessary. Just convey commitment, interest, excitement, etc., and don't volunteer anything that would make it seem like you're unable to make the firm your priority.

You can be frank about the fact that you don't have healthcare experience, but maybe let them know you at least find healthcare interesting/exciting. I wouldn't offer the fact that I have no case experience, but I wouldn't feel inadequate because of it either - Had you been in big law, you almost certainly would not have that within two years and may or may not even have as much experience as you do currently.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:11 pm

You are over thinking this and I’m fearful you will end up shooting yourself in the foot. They obviously don’t think negatively about your ID experience, otherwise they wouldn’t have asked you for an interview. Biglaw firms aren’t in the habit of wasting time, so you are in the same boat as anyone else who receives a callback interview.

The posture you should adopt is restrained confidence. Highlight your litigation experience in a confident and honest way. Be personable and make it seem like youre be a person others would want to be around. They obviously know you don’t have healthcare experience so DO NOT focus on this or mention it more than as a way to pivot to the experience you do have. And obviously the best thing you can do is highlight the responsibility you already have. Hopefully since it’s a smaller firm you have taken on more substantive things than biglaw juniors. So make sure to mention that stuff (not in a way that degrades biglaw juniors but in a way that emphasizes your strengths).

I really do not think you have to make any gambits re: saying you’ll exceed your billables or anything like that. I would assume you are just as qualified as any other candidates and act accordingly (even if you don’t believe it deep down). Please do yourself a favor and get out of the mindset that you’re desperate, or at least try not to demonstrate that fact in any way shape or form.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”