Has Quinn resumed its summer program this year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: Has Quinn resumed its summer program this year?

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Quinn is also noticeably more dickish in their litigation tactics and court presence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:how'd their reputation get so trashed when all firms suck ?
It pays most of its associates above-market compensation - even those fortunate few who manage to work less than the 2000 hours required for year-end bonus eligibility. Once you factor in signing, clerkship, and retention bonuses, along with profit-sharing, I suspect most QE associates are now being paid appreciably more than Cravath scale.
I thought they had a 2100 billable hour requirement and required a 100 hours of business development, but I could be wrong. (I'm not at Quinn).
2100 and 20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:how'd their reputation get so trashed when all firms suck ?
It pays most of its associates above-market compensation - even those fortunate few who manage to work less than the 2000 hours required for year-end bonus eligibility. Once you factor in signing, clerkship, and retention bonuses, along with profit-sharing, I suspect most QE associates are now being paid appreciably more than Cravath scale.
I thought they had a 2100 billable hour requirement and required a 100 hours of business development, but I could be wrong. (I'm not at Quinn).
2100 and 20.
How bad is 2100?

Is there any V100 firm where one can realistically expect to work fewer than 2100 hours (ideally while preserving at least a distant shot at partnership)? If so, sign me up.

Can any practicing attorneys speak to Quinn's work-life balance relative to peer firms? I thought basically all top firms worked their associates as much as humanly possible. My understanding is that 2800 is close to the norm at the likes of Wachtell, Kellogg Huber and Boies (admittedly more "elite" places than Quinn). For a generic V20 firm, 2100 strikes me as a sort of "minimally adequate performance" requirement rather than a true extra burden. But I could be wrong.

Maybe a simpler way of asking the question is: (1) what do y'all think the average annual billable hours are for V20 associates, and (2) what's the average at Quinn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:43 am

SmokeytheBear wrote: Never said it was unsafe, just said it was crap in my opinion. I would much rather work in the Wells Fargo building (where MTO and GDC are) for easy access to Grand Central Market, Chinatown, etc.
MTO is in 2cal now, so even closer to grand central
Anonymous User wrote:
How bad is 2100?
Bad by normal job standards, but man I wish I'd had a 2100 hour year this year. It's averaging roughly 170-180 months, which are "busy enough that I don't need to pick up another case, but not drowning" level of busy. My experience has been that in those kinds of months, you're not pulling any 12+ hour billable days unless you had something fluky like a settlement at the beginning of the month and then picked up a red-hot case midway through.
Anonymous User wrote: Is there any V100 firm where one can realistically expect to work fewer than 2100 hours (ideally while preserving at least a distant shot at partnership)? If so, sign me up.
Yes, most of the associates at my firm come in around ~2000 or slightly below. West coast is better than east in this regard, or so I understand.
Anonymous User wrote: Can any practicing attorneys speak to Quinn's work-life balance relative to peer firms? I thought basically all top firms worked their associates as much as humanly possible. My understanding is that 2800 is close to the norm at the likes of Wachtell, Kellogg Huber and Boies (admittedly more "elite" places than Quinn). For a generic V20 firm, 2100 strikes me as a sort of "minimally adequate performance" requirement rather than a true extra burden. But I could be wrong.

Maybe a simpler way of asking the question is: (1) what do y'all think the average annual billable hours are for V20 associates, and (2) what's the average at Quinn?
Haven't worked at Quinn, but the "as much as humanly possible" thing can be a bit overblown in general. I came in with that expectation, and have had stretches like that. But I've also had stretches like this weekend where I didn't get a single case-related email since like 6pm on Friday. I'm almost worried that exchange is malfunctioning. Point being that cases ebb and flow and while generally partners/seniors don't have many reservations about asking for late night/weekend work, cases just don't always demand that. Sometimes it's quiet. I've gotta imagine that's the case at Quinn too, even if they're doing the Quinn thing and creating case emergencies over inconsequential bullshit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote: Never said it was unsafe, just said it was crap in my opinion. I would much rather work in the Wells Fargo building (where MTO and GDC are) for easy access to Grand Central Market, Chinatown, etc.
Anonymous User wrote:
How bad is 2100?
Bad by normal job standards, but man I wish I'd had a 2100 hour year this year. It's averaging roughly 170-180 months, which are "busy enough that I don't need to pick up another case, but not drowning" level of busy. My experience has been that in those kinds of months, you're not pulling any 12+ hour billable days unless you had something fluky like a settlement at the beginning of the month and then picked up a red-hot case midway through.
Anonymous User wrote: Is there any V100 firm where one can realistically expect to work fewer than 2100 hours (ideally while preserving at least a distant shot at partnership)? If so, sign me up.
Yes, most of the associates at my firm come in around ~2000 or slightly below. West coast is better than east in this regard, or so I understand.
Anonymous User wrote: Can any practicing attorneys speak to Quinn's work-life balance relative to peer firms? I thought basically all top firms worked their associates as much as humanly possible. My understanding is that 2800 is close to the norm at the likes of Wachtell, Kellogg Huber and Boies (admittedly more "elite" places than Quinn). For a generic V20 firm, 2100 strikes me as a sort of "minimally adequate performance" requirement rather than a true extra burden. But I could be wrong.

Haven't worked at Quinn, but the "as much as humanly possible" thing can be a bit overblown in general. I came in with that expectation, and have had stretches like that. But I've also had stretches like this weekend where I didn't get a single case-related email since like 6pm on Friday. I'm almost worried that exchange is malfunctioning. Point being that cases ebb and flow and while generally partners/seniors don't have many reservations about asking for late night/weekend work, cases just don't always demand that. Sometimes it's quiet. I've gotta imagine that's the case at Quinn too, even if they're doing the Quinn thing and creating case emergencies over inconsequential bullshit.
Anon from above here. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I'd suspected it would be virtually impossible to avoid hitting 2100 hours in NYC biglaw, but I'm relieved to hear that's not necessarily true (while you seem to be speaking more to west coast, based on what you say it sounds like a decent number of NYC folks could manage to stay under 2100). So Quinn's 2100-hour requirement for year-end bonuses may be a bit more of a pain than I was thinking. On the other hand, unlike their peers they do at least toss a few extra coins to those unfortunate souls who end up working 2400 or 2700 hours (which I gather is not a rare occurrence in NYC biglaw). So it is perhaps a wash.

Practicing lawyers: would you rather work, say, 1800-1900 hours for $180K or 2100 hours for $195K (or $230K, factoring in the new "associate longevity bonus," which also has an hours requirement and appears likely to be worth about $40K)?

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:16 am

literally no one is going to pick 2100 bro. The question is borderline ridiculous

And I wouldn't get too optimistic about billing sub 1950 if I were you

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How bad is 2100?

Anon from above here. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I'd suspected it would be virtually impossible to avoid hitting 2100 hours in NYC biglaw, but I'm relieved to hear that's not necessarily true (while you seem to be speaking more to west coast, based on what you say it sounds like a decent number of NYC folks could manage to stay under 2100). So Quinn's 2100-hour requirement for year-end bonuses may be a bit more of a pain than I was thinking. On the other hand, unlike their peers they do at least toss a few extra coins to those unfortunate souls who end up working 2400 or 2700 hours (which I gather is not a rare occurrence in NYC biglaw). So it is perhaps a wash.

Practicing lawyers: would you rather work, say, 1800-1900 hours for $180K or 2100 hours for $195K (or $230K, factoring in the new "associate longevity bonus," which also has an hours requirement and appears likely to be worth about $40K)?
1800-1900 without any doubt no question easiest question in the world.

surrealfx

New

Post by surrealfx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How bad is 2100?

1,800-1,900 for $180,000. For me, at that point, the marginal value of more money is far less than the marginal value of more time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 am

Anon above (the one who answered the last Q, not the one asking this Q). As of turning in my time this morning, I'm a hair under 2000 YTD. I would give up my bonus and honestly probably pay the firm a little bit if I could avoid hitting 2100 before the end of the year (without, yknow, being fired or quitting). Easy, easy decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:35 am

I'm at a NYC V20 and it seems typical to be 2000ish or maybe a little over. Chair says that under 2000 is average here. I'll probably come in under for my first full year (looking like around 1800 to 1900 depending on what you are counting) and haven't gotten real pressure, or heard of heavy pressure to bill a certain number. We have no requirement for bonus and are completely lockstep.

ETA: although we do some different things, are peer or better in lit compared to Quinn

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:06 am

estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: In particular I'm curious as to how exactly people experience QE's supposed day-to-day "cheapness" and whether this outweighs the additional compensation they now offer.
3) work-life balance is atrocious. Hence why quinn has horrible retention and is shelling out money to recruit
4) they're cheap. look at their new bonus profit-sharing 'pool'. it's basically a gimmick to make it seem like they pay bonuses akin to hueston hennigan, wachtell etc, but in reality it's shittier than what they already had.

with all that, they still advertise themselves as if they were hot shit. they're not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”