Partner called up other partner to ask about me Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Partner called up other partner to ask about me

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm a relatively new lateral at a firm (been here less than a year). Since starting, I have been working almost exclusively with one partner in my practice group who is in another office. However, recently (particularly August, which is a slow month for most firms), I've been extremely slow.

So I did what a lot (?) of biglaw associates do. I approached a partner or two (or their sr. associate if they have one) and offered my help.

One partner did the weirdest thing. He sat me down and asked for all matters I'd worked on since starting, and the partner supervising me on it. Of course, since I primarily worked with the one partner, he only called up that partner to ask about me. Then a week later, he tells me he's heard good things and will consider giving me work sometime.

I wasn't super irked by this until I talked to a coworker about it, who insisted that wasn't normal. I don't believe this partner does the same thing for other associates too. There's an associate he staffed on a matter recently who is considered a huge f!@# up. Is this normal, and/or should I avoid this partner going forward?

OfThriceandTen

Bronze

Re: Partner called up other partner to ask about me

Post by OfThriceandTen » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:06 pm

It's a little unusual that he sat you down and asked about your matter list. But one partner asking another for a recommendation on a totally unknown (lateral) commodity right after he was burnt by another associate? I think that's totally normal and don't know why you would be bothered by it.

BlueParrot

New

Post by BlueParrot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Did you tell him you already work at the firm?

This partner sounds a little weird (and definite warning signs of being a jerk) but if you need the work you can't be picky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:18 pm

OfThriceandTen wrote:It's a little unusual that he sat you down and asked about your matter list. But one partner asking another for a recommendation on a totally unknown (lateral) commodity right after he was burnt by another associate? I think that's totally normal and don't know why you would be bothered by it.
To be clear, he hasn't been burned by the other associate yet. He staffed her on a deal for the first time, and they haven't begun working together yet, unless non-billable work counts.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:46 pm

The fact that he sat down and asked for a list of matters, and actually admitting that he called your primary partner and saying "so maybe I'll give you some work eventually" is pretty weird.

But IME it's pretty common for a partner to call another partner to ask about you before giving you work, or for partners to call each other up to make sure it's "okay" with the partner you primarily work with if they give you more work (to avoid partner A coming to them in a few months complaining that you're doing partner B's work instead of more of partner A's work).

Also if the associate hasn't actually done work for him yet, but it's no secret that she's a f**kup and it's possible the partner found out about it some time after he put her on the deal, that could still be a large reason why he's vetting people the way he is going forward.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 pm

I feel like this weird but not a red flag.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Agreed that he handled this weirdly but that the act itself is totally normal. I've overheard many snippets of partner phone calls talking about the merits of different associates and whether they can handle being staffed on a particular matter. They just usually have the social graces not to tell the associates about it.

enibs

Bronze

Post by enibs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:53 pm

A partner talked with another partner about a relatively unknown associate at the firm? OMG! The horror! Are you serious? What would you expect? Totally normal.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:34 am

enibs wrote:A partner talked with another partner about a relatively unknown associate at the firm? OMG! The horror! Are you serious? What would you expect? Totally normal.
+1

Totally normal typical human behavior. When it's a slow period, and other associates known in the office (about whom the partner can chat over the water cooler) may also be looking for work, why would he not do a bit of due diligence on a "new" associate just to check you out? Almost seems irresponsible not to.

Congrats on maybe getting to work for a person who will speak to you candidly at the potential expense of "lawyer social graces" mentioned above.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:06 am

OP here. Perhaps I am reading too much into this. Perhaps I'm just irked because I've been told this is not the norm for the firm or the partner (at least, if it is, it isn't made known to associates), so his doing it felt like little more than a power trip. I also work for an influential partner and have pretty good creds (not to be a credentials snob), so his going through that ritual felt like it had no reason other than to make a point.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah, OP just relax on this one. Put yourself in any partner's shoes. In what world would you not ask about whether a new hire you have worked with yet is good to work with?

It's not about you. It's about the partners and their work that they've hired you to help with. No room for your ego here. Also, other associates definitely aren't qualified to say whether or not partners talk with one another.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Yea, it's definitely weird, but not a big deal. Most partners are weird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Perhaps I am reading too much into this. Perhaps I'm just irked because I've been told this is not the norm for the firm or the partner (at least, if it is, it isn't made known to associates), so his doing it felt like little more than a power trip. I also work for an influential partner and have pretty good creds (not to be a credentials snob), so his going through that ritual felt like it had no reason other than to make a point.
He was probably just trying to get attention/feel good in relation to your influential partner. IOW, not about you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:17 pm

^^^^Accidental anon, that was me

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a relatively new lateral at a firm (been here less than a year). Since starting, I have been working almost exclusively with one partner in my practice group who is in another office. However, recently (particularly August, which is a slow month for most firms), I've been extremely slow.

So I did what a lot (?) of biglaw associates do. I approached a partner or two (or their sr. associate if they have one) and offered my help.

One partner did the weirdest thing. He sat me down and asked for all matters I'd worked on since starting, and the partner supervising me on it. Of course, since I primarily worked with the one partner, he only called up that partner to ask about me. Then a week later, he tells me he's heard good things and will consider giving me work sometime.

I wasn't super irked by this until I talked to a coworker about it, who insisted that wasn't normal. I don't believe this partner does the same thing for other associates too. There's an associate he staffed on a matter recently who is considered a huge f!@# up. Is this normal, and/or should I avoid this partner going forward?
I think this is fine/normal tbh. Maybe the partner who did this is neurotic after getting burned before or something. It looks like you got good reviews so that's good.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:53 pm

I can only imagine this is very normal except for the part where the associate actually knows it's being done.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Yeah this is normal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”