Please Help With Deciding - In House $95k, V20 180k, midsize 120k (diff cities) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Please Help With Deciding - In House $95k, V20 180k, midsize 120k (diff cities)

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:I think people are under-emphasizing the fact that OP hated big law as a summer. If you were an SA at a V20 and said, this isn't for me, I don't think you're going to be happy putting in 2-4 years as an associate.
Tbf, OP didn't say he or she hated it - just that they were unsure if they "want that life."

That said, your point is still probably true -- if being a summer doesn't peak your interest, then being an associate certainly won't.

lolwat

Silver

Re: Please Help With Deciding - In House $95k, V20 180k, midsize 120k (diff cities)

Post by lolwat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:I think people are under-emphasizing the fact that OP hated big law as a summer. If you were an SA at a V20 and said, this isn't for me, I don't think you're going to be happy putting in 2-4 years as an associate.
Tbf, OP didn't say he or she hated it - just that they were unsure if they "want that life."

That said, your point is still probably true -- if being a summer doesn't peak your interest, then being an associate certainly won't.
Maybe OP can elaborate on what aspect of "that life" they don't like. It seemed like the long hours and stress, but who knows.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:

Pique, man. Pique.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 pm

OP here, thanks for all of your replies. It's nice to hear from others that turning down the V20 wouldn't be a monumental mistake.

I should clarify that I didn't really hate the law firm, but did have concerns about working there as an actual attorney. For one, it's in a major market and I'm not a city person. I like the freedom of having a car and being able to get away from the city (which is definitely possible in the secondary market). Two, I don't want to get sucked up in the hours/deal prestige/partner track rat race. I'm okay with working hard but I'm not ready to give my life up for a firm.

I find this in house work very interesting and the work/life balance is incredible. But this company also let a bunch of attorneys go during the 2008 crisis, and they operate pretty leanly, so I'd feel less job secure than I would at an established firm (Lathaming notwithstanding). What happens if I take the in house position and they lay me off 16 months in, without any substantial enough experience to try and find something somewhere else? This is what's leading me to consider the midsize firm. Also, fwiw I do have an interview at a midsize in the secondary market that pays $140k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 pm

OP here, update that I've accepted at a V20 in my home market (secondary market)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”