How close is TOO close to work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jman77

Silver

Re: How close is TOO close to work?

Post by jman77 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a 5-10 minute walk to work. Absolutely love it and highly recommend it. Granted, I love my apartment and the area/location as well (a few hundred dollars more expensive than if I lived 20 minutes away, and quite a bit more expensive than living outside city center).

Any bit of flexibility you can get working in big law really makes the difference - at least for me. Personally, I think it would be sad if I relied on a commute to be my "me" time. Take the flexibility and use it to make your life better.
OP is choosing between a 5-minute walk and a 15-minute subway ride. The difference is pretty trivial. One option is in an apartment with no windows in an ugly building. The other is in a nicer building and in a nicer neighborhood (and presumably has windows). Assuming the extra $400 is not an issue (OP framed the question in a way that suggests it's not), the choice is pretty clear to me.

My last apartment in NYC was a 5-minute subway ride plus 7-8 minute walk to and from the office. It was still close enough for me to be able to easily go home or go back to the office whenever I forgot something or needed to go back for whatever reason.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm assuming this is something like living in Hells Kitchen versus the UWS. If so, then yeah take the better neighborhood. Honestly, living anywhere within a five minute walk of most midtown firms sounds like a nightmare to me, not because of the commute, but because you'll spend every waking moment in the most congested, stressful parts of NYC.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I'm assuming this is something like living in Hells Kitchen versus the UWS. If so, then yeah take the better neighborhood. Honestly, living anywhere within a five minute walk of most midtown firms sounds like a nightmare to me, not because of the commute, but because you'll spend every waking moment in the most congested, stressful parts of NYC.
This is me. I'm hoping to keep the door-to-door commute at around 30 minutes, but there's no way I'll live in midtown.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I'm assuming this is something like living in Hells Kitchen versus the UWS. If so, then yeah take the better neighborhood. Honestly, living anywhere within a five minute walk of most midtown firms sounds like a nightmare to me, not because of the commute, but because you'll spend every waking moment in the most congested, stressful parts of NYC.
Hell's Kitchen, despite its close proximity to Times Square, actually isn't that bad. Really great selection of restaurants and markets up that way, and the congestion from TS/midtown doesn't really spill over. But to echo myself and others again, 5 or 15 min. isn't really worth considering. OP: Choose the best apartment you can within 30 min. door-to-door and you are guaranteed to be happy.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am

1styearlateral wrote:
Hell's Kitchen, despite its close proximity to Times Square, actually isn't that bad. Really great selection of restaurants and markets up that way, and the congestion from TS/midtown doesn't really spill over. But to echo myself and others again, 5 or 15 min. isn't really worth considering. OP: Choose the best apartment you can within 30 min. door-to-door and you are guaranteed to be happy.
I agree and actually like Hell's Kitchen, but I just think living there would feel like living on a Lincoln Tunnel off ramp. I guess as you get up in the 50s that's less true.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”