how many lateral interviews before getting an offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how many lateral interviews before getting an offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Just curious.

For those who lateralled. How many applications did you send? How many interviews? How many offers?

Curious about your ratio. I was 10:3:1.

edit: this is for big law and boutiques. mid law okay too.

Anonymous User

Re: how many lateral interviews before getting an offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Hard to remember, since I went through recruiters. But it was probably 8:2:1.

A note on the 2:1. I was offered a callback after one of them, but I didnt accept, as I didnt like the vibe I got after the screener.

Also, for those who look at this later, applications cost you nothing, so a low yield is probably normal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 pm

? applied - 6 interviews -4 offers (1 ding, 1 withdraw)

I think my recruiter only applied to six, but for all I know she applied to a lot more.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:16 pm

I got interviews from about half the places I applied. At most firms the first round seems like more of a formality so almost all of those resulted in second round interviews- I'm not a great interviewer. Got offers from 50% of the places where I did the final round interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hard to remember, since I went through recruiters. But it was probably 8:2:1.

A note on the 2:1. I was offered a callback after one of them, but I didnt accept, as I didnt like the vibe I got after the screener.

Also, for those who look at this later, applications cost you nothing, so a low yield is probably normal.
OP on this. I should note that I do corporate M&A. I think number of positions open/number of interviews/yield will depend on group.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:? applied - 6 interviews -4 offers (1 ding, 1 withdraw)

I think my recruiter only applied to six, but for all I know she applied to a lot more.
wow, 6:6:4 is pretty amazing. practice area? stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 pm

??? applied, 2 interviews, 1 offer (withdrew from the other just before the in-person interview to accept the offer). Recruiter applied to some open positions on my behalf, but not sure how many (maybe 4?), and recruiter may have shopped the resume around a little, who knows. The firm I lateraled to moved really quickly and were super eager to hire, so I wasn't on the market very long.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am

Biglaw: 6 formal applications, 1 informational interview, 3 formal interviews, 1 offer, 1 likely offer (turned down before final decision), 1 pigeonhole (firm decided not to hire until business picked up)

Boutiques: 2 formal applications, 1 informational interview, 1 formal interview, 1 likely offer (turned down before final decision).

In-house: 2 formal applications, 2 formal interviews, 1 offer, 1 likely offer (turned down before final decision).

Ended up with the first in-house offer.

I should note that I was very strategic about my applications. There was absolutely no spamming or blind applications. I was moving from NYC to a smaller market, and there are only ~2 dozen associates in my practice area in town, so I carefully felt out all firms before applying. I had a personal connection for both in-house jobs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:21 pm

I was T14 grad who started in arguably shitlaw. Had maybe 10 interviews before I got an offer with a mid law firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:? applied - 6 interviews -4 offers (1 ding, 1 withdraw)

wow, 6:6:4 is pretty amazing. practice area? stats?
The application number should probably be taken with a grain of salt - like any good recruiter would, my recruiter did some screening by seeing if firms would be interested in a hypothetical candidate of my nature before actually applying.

I was a general lit 2nd year, HYS /w good grades, started at a well known firm. Good story about why I was leaving that firm which had been in the news a bunch at the time, so everyone accepted it. It was just a combo of decent interviewing and a good story. Plus, having a number of interviews / offers in hand really makes things go faster. If you don't pressure firms, many will take their sweet time in deciding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious.

For those who lateralled. How many applications did you send? How many interviews? How many offers?

Curious about your ratio. I was 10:3:1.

edit: this is for big law and boutiques. mid law okay too.
1:1:1. I knew where I wanted to go, and got poached though, so the biggest stress was telling my old bosses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:41 am

7. 4 from headhunters and 3 from me. I was no-offered 5 times, two from firms not ranked in the top 100…..the two highest ranked firms I interviewed made an offer......these firms are ones I solicited. While I waited for the conflicts to clear I took a two-week vacation.

5 of the 7 firms had me interview twice. One three times (that firm dinged me via mail and two weeks later called and dinged me).

ig

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Thoughts on reneging on a lateral offer? I already signed the offer letter ... I would be making a practice area switch and kind of have cold feet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on reneging on a lateral offer? I already signed the offer letter ... I would be making a practice area switch and kind of have cold feet.
My thoughts would just be for you to figure out what you want. Presumably if you have an offer already in hand, it means that you thought about it enough to go through the application and interview process. So now that you're getting cold feet . . . ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Wow this is crazy.

Just for some perspective, I have been trying to lateral for about a year.

I'm a 4th year associate at a corporate boutique.

Bottom 3rd of t20 - medium-size market.

Here are my lateral stats:

~50-60 applications (about 1/2 submitted by recruiters, and 1/2 personally).

3 interviews

0 offers.

I think I have a good resume/cover letter. I've asked people to review and I've gotten good feedback.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow this is crazy.

3 interviews

0 offers.

I think I have a good resume/cover letter. I've asked people to review and I've gotten good feedback.
To help you figure this out, can you give me an idea of what a "corporate boutique" is? I know plenty of top notch litigation boutiques, but in my several years practicing corporate, I dont know a corporate boutique. Do you just mean a small firm?

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:19 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

3 interviews

0 offers.

To help you figure this out, can you give me an idea of what a "corporate boutique" is? I know plenty of top notch litigation boutiques, but in my several years practicing corporate, I dont know a corporate boutique. Do you just mean a small firm?

Only one that comes to mind for me is Gundersom Dettmer - some like to call it a transactional boutique, although "boutique" might not really fit the bill anymore

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 pm

ithrowds wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

3 interviews

0 offers.

Only one that comes to mind for me is Gundersom Dettmer - some like to call it a transactional boutique, although "boutique" might not really fit the bill anymore
Yeah I don't think they are a boutique anymore. They're in the big leagues for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:42 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
ithrowds wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

3 interviews

0 offers.

Yeah I don't think they are a boutique anymore. They're in the big leagues for sure.
We have about 20 lawyers - I get paid ~140k-150k all in - work mainly on small & mid-market deals. I say boutique because the pay is good, maybe it should be small firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:26 pm

3 apps (1 boutique and 2 biglaw) - 3 interviews - 1 offer.

Ended up at the boutique (my top choice). I knew exactly what I wanted tho and was very picky about where I applied.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”