When to Share SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to Share SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

Any thoughts on when you should incorporate an accepted SA offer into your resume/linkedin/etc?

Mullens

Silver

Re: When to Share SA Position

Post by Mullens » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on when you should incorporate an accepted SA offer into your resume/linkedin/etc?
Now on resume.

Linkedin when you start.

Some people say never on fb/instagram/twitter but I personally see no problem with you sharing your positive life news with friends and family (as long as that is the purpose and you're not doing to be a gunner)

gingerbread

New

Post by gingerbread » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:33 am

I'd add it to my resume now, and then update LinkedIn once I'd actually started working.

Add it to Facebook at the risk of looking like a self-indulgent douche.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:38 am

gingerbread wrote:Add it to Facebook at the risk of looking like a self-indulgent douche.
I don't understand this. What's wrong with putting it on Facebook? How is it different from posting pics of your cool trip to Rome. Facebook is literally for bragging about the best parts of your life while leaving out the mediocre.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gingerbread wrote:Add it to Facebook at the risk of looking like a self-indulgent douche.
I don't understand this. What's wrong with putting it on Facebook? How is it different from posting pics of your cool trip to Rome. Facebook is literally for bragging about the best parts of your life while leaving out the mediocre.
I don't see any worth in putting a job on facebook tbh. It's not really a networking tool. I put my SA on my resume immediately and on LinkedIn like a month after starting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Some people (other students at your law school) are hyper-sensitive and might take it the wrong way. It's a risk you take but imo it only confirms people's already existing opinion of you. Like if they already think you are a self-indulgent douche then they'll take it that way. So screw those people and share your life event with friends and family.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm

SA position is still not on my resume. Who are you sending your resume to once you already have a job?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SA position is still not on my resume. Who are you sending your resume to once you already have a job?
Externships, research assistant positions, bs school orgs, etc...

personwholaws

New

Post by personwholaws » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SA position is still not on my resume. Who are you sending your resume to once you already have a job?
Isn't it a good idea to update your resume anyway?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Some people apply for clerkships, some law school clinics have you apply with a resume, etc. It's not that strange.

Anyway, I agree with the consensus here. Tell the people you care about the way you would normally talk to them. People's need to brag on Facebook is weird, unless you're not friends with any classmates, who might have struck out.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Clerkships, clerkships, clerkships, and clerkships.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Seriously, do people not realize we JUST did this thread?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Seriously, do people not realize we JUST did this thread?
(allows the "What are my chances?" subforum to exist)

Real talk though: I just assumed this was the other thread being bumped

Correct answer is (of course): Never. Keep it to yourself other than updating your resume.

Mods please lock thanks!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:00 pm

No one gives a shit about your summer internship and you won't care either once you start it.

Sounds like you're gonna do it anyway so why even bother asking.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Why do people have so much trouble understanding this?

It's shitty because half or more of your school went through or is going through a giant thing where everyone is competing against each other; where your friends are simultaneously your support system and your competition; and where the culture implicitly suggests that if you can't land an SA, you failed at law school. It's nothing like a freaking trip to Rome. Your friends didn't all go to law school, bust their butts, and spend loads of money in order to compete for a trip to Rome. Rightly or wrongly, striking out carries enormous feelings of screwing up, and can mean that some folks have to give up on what they believe is their dream of being a biglaw attorney (again, whether that's true or not).

Honestly though if the above isn't completely obvious you are surely beyond help socially. If you have to ask why it's such an incensitive move, then chances are most peoples' reactions to seeing your "I'll be working at ____ next year!!" will be, "how did HE land an SA?"

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:18 pm

"Incensitive" I like it, going to start using that.

Moderators please lock thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Seriously, do people not realize we JUST did this thread?
hehe. seems to happen all the time...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:24 pm

zhenders wrote:Why do people have so much trouble understanding this?

It's shitty because half or more of your school went through or is going through a giant thing where everyone is competing against each other; where your friends are simultaneously your support system and your competition; and where the culture implicitly suggests that if you can't land an SA, you failed at law school. It's nothing like a freaking trip to Rome. Your friends didn't all go to law school, bust their butts, and spend loads of money in order to compete for a trip to Rome. Rightly or wrongly, striking out carries enormous feelings of screwing up, and can mean that some folks have to give up on what they believe is their dream of being a biglaw attorney (again, whether that's true or not).

Honestly though if the above isn't completely obvious you are surely beyond help socially. If you have to ask why it's such an incensitive move, then chances are most peoples' reactions to seeing your "I'll be working at ____ next year!!" will be, "how did HE land an SA?"
So you don't put your undergrad school/law school on Facebook? Because people competed for that, and some people didn't get into your school/as good a school. Do you not put your marital status/relationship on Facebook? Some of your friends may be going through breakups or are unable to find an SO. A gratuitous status update is obnoxious (as in any kind of bragging), but I don't see the difference between "I'll be working at _____ next year!!" and "So excited to be attending COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL for the next three years!!!" or my friends changing their "Education" section to whatever medical school they got into, or "So glad to be moving to ___ City because I was matched with ___ Hospital for my residency program!!!".

Just seems odd that people are repulsed by SA bragging, while other types of bragging are acceptable and normal.

ETA - Non-law students have no idea what an SA is or what that means, so there's no point putting it on Facebook, and I'm not advocating for it, but it is just weird how it's some social taboo. Who gives a shit. Are people not allowed to put their firm as their "Employer" when they start full time?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zhenders wrote:Why do people have so much trouble understanding this?

So you don't put your undergrad school/law school on Facebook? Because people competed for that, and some people didn't get into your school/as good a school. Do you not put your marital status/relationship on Facebook? Some of your friends may be going through breakups or are unable to find an SO. A gratuitous status update is obnoxious (as in any kind of bragging), but I don't see the difference between "I'll be working at _____ next year!!" and "So excited to be attending COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL for the next three years!!!" or my friends changing their "Education" section to whatever medical school they got into, or "So glad to be moving to ___ City because I was matched with ___ Hospital for my residency program!!!".

Just seems odd that people are repulsed by SA bragging, while other types of bragging are acceptable and normal.

ETA - Non-law students have no idea what an SA is or what that means, so there's no point putting it on Facebook, and I'm not advocating for it, but it is just weird how it's some social taboo. Who gives a shit. Are people not allowed to put their firm as their "Employer" when they start full time?
You need some serious help managing your ego. It'll be somewhat poetic if you announce your 2L SA and then get no offered. I'm sure your silence come the end of summer will be BOOMING when you aren't announcing your full-time offer. Besides, no one is going to be jealous of your summer at Troutman Sanders.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm a 3L who didn't announce my SA and have a full-time offer, but thanks for your well wishes.

I just don't care if other people "announce" or update their "employer" or whatever, and there's no reason to be so incensed by someone else doing it that you wish no-offers on them. How do you react to your friends who put their M7 acceptances on Facebook? Do you hope they get cancer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L who didn't announce my SA and have a full-time offer, but thanks for your well wishes.

I just don't care if other people "announce" or update their "employer" or whatever, and there's no reason to be so incensed by someone else doing it that you wish no-offers on them. How do you react to your friends who put their M7 acceptances on Facebook? Do you hope they get cancer?
Well M7 is one thing but I had a Facebook friend who posted about their Yale School of Management acceptance and I just felt sorry for them. Sad!

Anyway Anon you bring up some really good points thanks for contributing to the discussion.

(Mods plz)

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:36 pm

I'd hold off on FB, and maybe Linked In, until you start work. Some firms have express policies to accommodate strange attorney advertising rules (though they've since been addressed in NY) and to prevent accidental disclosures regarding deal timing (i.e. if a first year corporate associate at Cravath is posting about game of thrones at 530 on a Tuesday, it's likely no IBM deals are closing that week). The policies likely apply to you, even if you aren't an attorney, and know less about the deal than the WSJ.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Seriously, people, JUST GO READ THE OTHER THREAD. There are no new opinions on this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”