First-Year/Second-Year BigLaw Lateralling Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

First-Year/Second-Year BigLaw Lateralling

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:44 pm

I understand that 3rd-5th year is typically the prime lateralling time. How feasible is it to lateral soon after your first year? I'm particularly interested in the possibility of lateralling to another major but smaller (Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, DC) market from NYC. Are there particularly transactional practices (M&A? Banking? Project Finance? Securities?) that make it easier than others? And how are you affected if you're at a firm that has rotations where you spend your first 18 months in various practice areas so you still don't have any sort of a specialty?

Anonymous User

Re: First-Year/Second-Year BigLaw Lateralling

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:19 pm

From corporate at a well known firm it was very easy. I went from NYC to one of those markets as a junior and I took interviews in multiple other, similar markets (and multiple in the market i went to). To be honest, smaller corporate shops dont get alot of juniors through typical law school recruiting for a variety of reasons. If you have the background, you're a no brainer hire. The move is not without risk but it's an easy move to make.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Piggyback:

I'm going to Chicago, and my SO is going to one of Det/Mpls/StL. We'd like for SO to join me in Chicago. SO will not be at Honigman/Faegre/Bryan Cave, but regional biglaw for sure. How quickly can SO start to look in Chicago? Will we definitely have to wait a couple years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm facing a similar question, but more about practice group than geography. Want to stay in NY and lateral from a V5 to literally any market-paying firm's IP group. Only one year under my belt (M&A), though..

h2go

Bronze

Post by h2go » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm facing a similar question, but more about practice group than geography. Want to stay in NY and lateral from a V5 to literally any market-paying firm's IP group. Only one year under my belt (M&A), though..
IP lit? Patent prosecution? Tech transactions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Piggyback:

I'm going to Chicago, and my SO is going to one of Det/Mpls/StL. We'd like for SO to join me in Chicago. SO will not be at Honigman/Faegre/Bryan Cave, but regional biglaw for sure. How quickly can SO start to look in Chicago? Will we definitely have to wait a couple years?
This will depend partially on his law school and his practice group. But just know that this is going to be very, very difficult given the markets and firms that he might be coming from.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

This will depend partially on his law school and his practice group. But just know that this is going to be very, very difficult given the markets and firms that he might be coming from.
SO had median grades at MVP. And, litigation - I don't know how practice groups work at SO's firm, but definitely Lit.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

SO had median grades at MVP. And, litigation - I don't know how practice groups work at SO's firm, but definitely Lit.
Litigation will be the hard part. Not hard to lateral into Chicago with MVP if you're corporate(have several co-workers that lateralled from cities listed), but litigation seems pretty slow across the city. No need for your SO to wait to try, but could be a long hard slog. Your SO should talk to classmates and recruiters to find out when there are openings and just be aggressive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Litigation will be the hard part. Not hard to lateral into Chicago with MVP if you're corporate(have several co-workers that lateralled from cities listed), but litigation seems pretty slow across the city. No need for your SO to wait to try, but could be a long hard slog. Your SO should talk to classmates and recruiters to find out when there are openings and just be aggressive.
Thanks for this. Sounds like you think there's not much downside to putting out feelers early, rather than just waiting for a year first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Thanks for this. Sounds like you think there's not much downside to putting out feelers early, rather than just waiting for a year first.
Working with a recruiter there is never downsides. When the time come post a message on here looking for recruiters in Chicago. There are a lot of shit bags out there, but there are also some great ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Working with a recruiter there is never downsides. When the time come post a message on here looking for recruiters in Chicago. There are a lot of shit bags out there, but there are also some great ones.
Appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 am

[Delete]

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”