T-14 Top 25% to Shitlaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T-14 Top 25% to Shitlaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Has the whole world gone crazy? Been dinged by every firm. Please help. Will anyone pass my resume along to the shitlaw overlords? Is getting dinged by shitlaw a thing?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: T-14 Top 25% to Shitlaw?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Its not unheard of to strike out in your spot, especially if you are at Georgetown where only 40% get biglaw. Also, if you are an international, that is certainly bad news given the administration. I know anyone who needs a visa, even top 10% kids at t6s are struggling because for a lot of firms, it isn't worth the hassle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:58 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Its not unheard of to strike out in your spot, especially if you are at Georgetown where only 40% get biglaw. Also, if you are an international, that is certainly bad news given the administration. I know anyone who needs a visa, even top 10% kids at t6s are struggling because for a lot of firms, it isn't worth the hassle.
Not at GeorgeTTTown. Sorry for using the defunct terminology. I'm at MVP Top 25%, IP Background. Not an international student. Coming unhinged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:58 pm

In the same boat. Dinged by every firm. T10 above median. Grades not stellar but decent. International.

What do you mean by "shitlaw"? That attitude may not help in your job search.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Its not unheard of to strike out in your spot, especially if you are at Georgetown where only 40% get biglaw. Also, if you are an international, that is certainly bad news given the administration. I know anyone who needs a visa, even top 10% kids at t6s are struggling because for a lot of firms, it isn't worth the hassle.
Not at GeorgeTTTown. Sorry for using the defunct terminology. I'm at MVP Top 25%, IP Background. Not an international student. Coming unhinged.
Well IP background might be a hinderance actually. Your applications might be narrowed by the firms for IP given your background, which is overall bad news given how the vast majority of biglaw firms are either downsizing their IP practices or jetting them altogether.

To the other post who is international, you are going to struggle my friend. Firms are just not going to take the risk. I would consider looking at jobs in your home country/home region (like if you are from China, look into HK, etc).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the same boat. Dinged by every firm. T10 above median. Grades not stellar but decent. International.

What do you mean by "shitlaw"? That attitude may not help in your job search.
OP here. By shitlaw I mean submarket sweatshops.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:15 pm

what is meant by international? being a foreign law student or simply being non-white?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is meant by international? being a foreign law student or simply being non-white?
The former. Not being a US citizen is a roadblock to employment.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:23 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what is meant by international? being a foreign law student or simply being non-white?
The former. Not being a US citizen is a roadblock to employment.
This. With the administration, there is literally zero incentive for firms to take any risk on people that will need visas. It was hard enough before, but with this administration, no firm will take the risk. Sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:31 pm

OP here. Can we talk about shitlaw? Is it common for MVP Top 25% to completely strike out of the V100 + Lit Boutiques? Where do I go from here? Mass mailing doesn't seem to be effective or at least not yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Can we talk about shitlaw? Is it common for MVP Top 25% to completely strike out of the V100 + Lit Boutiques? Where do I go from here? Mass mailing doesn't seem to be effective or at least not yet.
I think you should mass mail, and at the same time, speak with any alums working in "shitlaw" and leave a good impression. In this case they may volunteer to pass on your resume.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:26 pm

I'd start by getting your ego in check. After a while, rejections are no longer a coincidence for someone in your shoes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:I'd start by getting your ego in check. After a while, rejections are no longer a coincidence for someone in your shoes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Mass mail, OP. I didn't get an offer until 9/15 last year (3 weeks after my callback). I clearly wasn't first choice, but I'll take it!

I also reforwarded personalized mass mails I had sent to firms when I hadn't received a response after 3-4 weeks (minimum) with a short message to the tune of "just letting you know I'm still very interested in your firm." Doing this for 10 firms actually got me a phone screener and a callback. Just make sure you leave a few weeks in between.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Here's a crazy idea: find work in your own country!

jrose55

New

Post by jrose55 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP what is you IP background?

Bmlnsm

New

Post by Bmlnsm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Should have gone to Georgetown...

User has been outed for anon abuse.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:41 pm

Top 10% at T6 struggling. I don't personally know anyone in that category, speaking from a T6.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Rahviveh wrote:Here's a crazy idea: find work in your own country!
For the OP, that would be the United States.

Bmlnsm

New

Post by Bmlnsm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Should have gone to Georgetown...
^this. Maybe you land in top 20% and get a job.

User has been outed (again) for anon abuse.

liam31

New

Post by liam31 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:08 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:I'd start by getting your ego in check. After a while, rejections are no longer a coincidence for someone in your shoes.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Rahviveh wrote:Here's a crazy idea: find work in your own country!
For a lot of countries you need the local bar to practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:05 pm

ITT: GeorgeTTTown and BigLaw MAGA trolls. gtfo with that shit

OP - I got my V50 SA after weeks of mass-mailing in November. Don't give up. Target secondary markets and every single market you would be conceivably interested in. Try to clear 50 applications a day. Skip classes until November, then take a break from applications to get passing grades in your classes (unless you start gunning for clerkships at which point you usually need good grades).

Good luck, hth

Edit: Also, target boutiques/smaller firms listed in Chambers and Partners. In my home state, I knew someone at a T14 who struck out at OCI. He managed to land a law position at a environmental/securities lit boutique basically doing big ticket litigation in the secondary market where I grew up. After a year, she nabbed a V20 position in the same city. The thing that sucks about striking out at OCI is your path becomes a lot less clear cut; but with a little creativity it most certainly doesn't matter in the long run.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:53 pm

OP, what's your screener/CB ratio?

If you're not getting offers, that's one thing. But if youre not getting interviews at all, that's something else entirely and much more addressable.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You have to admit it's a bit ironic that you are calling another school a "TTT" in a thread lamenting that being in the top 25% is not getting you the job you think you deserve.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”