D.C. UBE portability Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kathj06

Bronze

D.C. UBE portability

Post by kathj06 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:42 am

I have kind of an odd question, and thought I'd post on TLS before reaching out to my law school:

Say I pass the Maryland Bar, which I took in July. I am planning on applying to the D.C. bar this year if I score well enough on the Maryland Bar to do so. Once I'm admitted to the D.C. bar (I know this process can take about a year), can I then apply to another UBE state (say, NY or Massachusetts) since DC is now a UBE state? Or, would I have to retake the bar exam in NY or Mass, since, although DC is a UBE state, the original state I took the bar exam in (Maryland) is not a UBE state?

I'm sorry if this post is an incomprehensible mess. There is a long and boring personal-life related backstory here, but thought I'd spare TLS.

jess

Re: D.C. UBE portability

Post by jess » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kathj06

Bronze

Post by kathj06 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks, Jess! By taking the UBE, you mean I'd have to retake the MBE and the MPT, and take the MEE?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:45 pm

kathj06 wrote:Thanks, Jess! By taking the UBE, you mean I'd have to retake the MBE and the MPT, and take the MEE?
Depending on the state you may be able to reuse your MBE. You’ll have to do the UBE essays/MPTs though.

kathj06

Bronze

Post by kathj06 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Gotcha--not retaking the MBE would be great news. Thanks!

EDM

New

Post by EDM » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:30 am

Also, some states won't let you use your UBE score in other states if you use a previously-earned MBE score when you take the UBE. For example, if you use your Maryland MBE score to take the Alabama UBE, Alabama will not let you use your UBE score to gain admission into other UBE states, like New York. Just something to think about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”