Kirkland SF v. Deb NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nativtracker

New

Kirkland SF v. Deb NYC

Post by nativtracker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Trying to figure out which SA offer to take. HYS student. Law Review. Choices are Kirkland SF and Deb NYC. My interests are international arbitration/international trade/white collar. My ultimate goal is clerkships post a few years/then government. I am leaning Deb. but my concern comes down to exit options/brand recognition. i.e. Vault has Kirkland as V10 and Deb V20. Does this truly make that big of difference in the long term? Again, its Kirkland SF, which is a satellite, but then again, its Kirkland. Any thoughts are welcome.
Last edited by nativtracker on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Kirkland SF v. Deb NYC

Post by Mullens » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:59 pm

nativtracker wrote:Trying to figure out which offer to take. HYS grad. Law Review. Choices are Kirkland SF and Deb NYC. My interests are international arbitration/international trade/white collar. My ultimate goal is clerkships/then government. I am leaning Deb. but my concern comes down to exit options/brand recognition. i.e. Vault has Kirkland as V10 and Deb V20. Does this truly make that big of difference in the long term? Again, its Kirkland SF, which is a satellite, but then again, its Kirkland. Any thoughts are welcome.
I find this post very confusing. You're a graduate but deciding between these firms? Did you summer at one of these firms and already accept an offer to start (in like a month)? With a goal to clerk? Have you not applied to clerkships already if you're a HYS grad on law review?

h2go

Bronze

Post by h2go » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:02 pm

nativtracker wrote:i.e. Vault has Kirkland as V10 and Deb V20. Does this truly make that big of difference in the long term?
Do people still think Vault is something other than a ranking of NY corporate practices?

nativtracker

New

Post by nativtracker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Mullens wrote:
nativtracker wrote:Trying to figure out which offer to take. HYS grad. Law Review. Choices are Kirkland SF and Deb NYC. My interests are international arbitration/international trade/white collar. My ultimate goal is clerkships/then government. I am leaning Deb. but my concern comes down to exit options/brand recognition. i.e. Vault has Kirkland as V10 and Deb V20. Does this truly make that big of difference in the long term? Again, its Kirkland SF, which is a satellite, but then again, its Kirkland. Any thoughts are welcome.
I find this post very confusing. You're a graduate but deciding between these firms? Did you summer at one of these firms and already accept an offer to start (in like a month)? With a goal to clerk? Have you not applied to clerkships already if you're a HYS grad on law review?

OP here. HYS Student. Trying to figure out what to do for summer SA. Looking to clerk after 2 years, eventually (10 years out) government. Better?

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Does Kirkland have a single lawyer in SF who does international arbitration or international trade? Maybe one partner who does white collar? Meanwhile Deb is Band 1 for white collar in NYC and does lots of the international work you're interested in (http://www.debevoise.com/capabilities/p ... -disputes/). Seems like a no-brainer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:12 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Does Kirkland have a single lawyer in SF who does international arbitration or international trade? Maybe one partner who does white collar? Meanwhile Deb is Band 1 for white collar in NYC and does lots of the international work you're interested in (http://www.debevoise.com/capabilities/p ... -disputes/). Seems like a no-brainer.
OP Here. I know. It totally is. Its just something in my bones, forcing me to give credence to general Vault rankings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 pm

nativtracker wrote:OP here. HYS Student. Trying to figure out what to do for summer SA. Looking to clerk after 2 years, eventually (10 years out) government. Better?
Go to Kirkland. You'll fit right in.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nativtracker wrote:OP here. HYS Student. Trying to figure out what to do for summer SA. Looking to clerk after 2 years, eventually (10 years out) government. Better?
Go to Kirkland. You'll fit right in.
Wow, brave flame anon! Thanks for your contribution!
Anonymous User wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:Does Kirkland have a single lawyer in SF who does international arbitration or international trade? Maybe one partner who does white collar? Meanwhile Deb is Band 1 for white collar in NYC and does lots of the international work you're interested in (http://www.debevoise.com/capabilities/p ... -disputes/). Seems like a no-brainer.
OP Here. I know. It totally is. Its just something in my bones, forcing me to give credence to general Vault rankings.
No one has problems with exit options and brand recognition coming out of Deb NYC. The only issue I see with your plan is that there aren't nearly as many government jobs for international arbitration/trade as for lit, and you're going to have to explain to judges why they should take a clerk who hasn't done lit (assuming I'm reading correctly that you want to clerk a few years out). If gov/clerkships are your goal, I'd stick with white collar. And since Deb NYC is better at white collar.. again, a no-brainer.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Kirkland's SF office runs on Private Equity deals and IP lit. I don't know that they have much of what you're looking for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:13 pm

I work at Kirkland SF. We are roughly 50% PE, 25% IP Lit, 25% commercial lit, and 0% international trade/arbitration.

Go to New York.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Kirkland sf does 0 of the things u want to do. Go to Deb if that's the only other offer you have.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:43 pm

nativtracker wrote:Trying to figure out which SA offer to take. HYS student. Law Review. Choices are Kirkland SF and Deb NYC. My interests are international arbitration/international trade/white collar. My ultimate goal is clerkships post a few years/then government. I am leaning Deb. but my concern comes down to exit options/brand recognition. i.e. Vault has Kirkland as V10 and Deb V20. Does this truly make that big of difference in the long term? Again, its Kirkland SF, which is a satellite, but then again, its Kirkland. Any thoughts are welcome.
Even in a complete vacuum, Kirkland isn't more prestigious than Debevoise. You need to put that notion out of your head.

obx

New

Post by obx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
nativtracker wrote:Trying to figure out which SA offer to take. HYS student. Law Review. Choices are Kirkland SF and Deb NYC. My interests are international arbitration/international trade/white collar. My ultimate goal is clerkships post a few years/then government. I am leaning Deb. but my concern comes down to exit options/brand recognition. i.e. Vault has Kirkland as V10 and Deb V20. Does this truly make that big of difference in the long term? Again, its Kirkland SF, which is a satellite, but then again, its Kirkland. Any thoughts are welcome.
Even in a complete vacuum, Kirkland isn't more prestigious than Debevoise. You need to put that notion out of your head.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”