Coffee and Secretary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Thesaurus

Silver

Re: Coffee and Secretary

Post by Thesaurus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:And a legal assistant isn't coffee. I do not understand your analogy here. You choose to drink coffee. You can get it yourself.
It was more of a joke than an actual analogy tbh, but coffee contributes to alertness and focus, so it's literally helping you do your job

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:38 pm

I think this problem could be solved by having general purpose runners who do stuff like this. That would be awesome and you probably wouldn't have to pay them that much.

In my dream world they'd also go get you office supplies from the office supply people and water your sad plants

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:42 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
rpupkin wrote: Actually, the best explanation for why it's rude is that it's no longer normal for a lawyer to ask a secretary or assistant to get coffee. This isn't about logical rules; it's about professional norms. There is a business logic to the practice of administrative assistants helping out with personal tasks (which DF makes the case for above), but it's just not an acceptable thing in 2017.
Hm, I disagree to the extent this seems to imply that professional norms evolve without any relation to logic.
I didn't intend to imply that, but I do think that whether a professional norm is logical in some abstract sense is irrelevant to the question of whether an attorney--particularly a junior attorney--should follow the norm in the office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:44 pm

landshoes wrote:I think this problem could be solved by having general purpose runners who do stuff like this. That would be awesome and you probably wouldn't have to pay them that much.

In my dream world they'd also go get you office supplies from the office supply people and water your sad plants
I feel like I am very low maintenance in what I ask my assistant to do, but I definitely ask her to get office supplies. Is that out of line?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
landshoes wrote:I think this problem could be solved by having general purpose runners who do stuff like this. That would be awesome and you probably wouldn't have to pay them that much.

I feel like I am very low maintenance in what I ask my assistant to do, but I definitely ask her to get office supplies. Is that out of line?
I just summered; I have no clue. I doubt it? But I can't tell if people are talking about assistants (like paralegals) or assistants (like secretaries) b/c at my firm they are very different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:51 pm

There was an instance at my firm where a partner asked their legal assistant to book a family vacation for him, she wasn't thrilled, asked him "Why am I doing this?, he replied "Because you're good at it" which inevitably led to, "Because I'm a woman, right?"

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is she just ordering them within the firm or does she have to like go to Staples? Where I'm at, ordering supplies internally is expected, whereas we are explicitly not allowed to ask for coffee or other personal help, for the reasons others have mentioned.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Why is this still going

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 pm

sublime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is she just ordering them within the firm or does she have to like go to Staples? Where I'm at, ordering supplies internally is expected, whereas we are explicitly not allowed to ask for coffee or other personal help, for the reasons others have mentioned.
Sorry this was me earlier accidentally anon. Just ordering them from our internal supply room.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:03 pm

All good. That seems fine to me at least.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Silicon Valley is way ahead of you.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:08 pm

In downtown NYC ordering postmates is as much of a pain in the ass as just doing it yourself. It's cool in the bay area because everything is so hilariously spread out

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Pro-tip: spend first year treating your secretary well, give him/her giant Xmas bonus, ask how the weekend was, how are the kids etc. Meaningfully engage them in their lives and into your work. That way they'll want to actually help you out and won't begrudge grabbing you coffee if you're ever truly so under the gun you need someone to grab coffee for you. Then, next time you're not slammed and run out for coffee, ask if they want YOU to grab one for THEM.

Or you know, just be a decent human being. Whatevs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:31 pm

If you need a 100 post TLS thread to figure this out, you're going to end up making so many unconscious faux pas that this one won't even register.

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:20 am

homestyle28 wrote:Give him/her giant Xmas bonus.
...wait, what. Associates give bonuses to secretaries? Why wouldn't equity partners do that. Is this common practice?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:24 am

rahulg91 wrote:
...wait, what. Associates give bonuses to secretaries? Why wouldn't equity partners do that. Is this common practice?
Gift is a better term, but it's usually cash. I've heard $100 x class year though it depends.

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 am

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
Gift is a better term, but it's usually cash. I've heard $100 x class year though it depends.
Lol @ this "profession"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 am

rahulg91 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
Lol @ this "profession"
You are quite the reservoir of bad opinions

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:36 am

Nebby wrote:You are quite the reservoir of bad opinions
Thanks breh. Your wisdom is truly appreciated.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:46 am

rahulg91 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
Lol @ this "profession"
Giving an annual gift (or a gift card) to a secretary is not unique to the legal profession. It's the norm in most professional environments.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am

rahulg91 wrote:
Yes. This is not just in the legal world, either. It's pretty much common practice in every sector to get your secretary a holiday present. They generally get you one in return.

Common gift is cash. Also gift cards. Last year I gave cash, in return she got me a beautiful holiday cookie platter (I love to bake and was hosting a holiday dessert party the next week.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thesaurus

Silver

Post by Thesaurus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:23 am

How many professional/office workers outside of the law actually have secretaries though?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:12 am

Thesaurus wrote:How many professional/office workers outside of the law actually have secretaries though?
Well, there's a difference between "professionals" and "office workers." Most people who work in an office are performing various clerical and administrative tasks [insert joke about copying and pasting rog responses here], and those office workers generally don't have secretaries.

As far as professionals go, I'd say most professionals have secretaries or their equivalent, though it varies from sector to sector. Secretaries are common in business and finance, but less common in medicine. There are fewer secretaries in tech, but engineers never really did depend on secretaries in the same way that other professionals did. Once you get on the business side of tech, you find roughly the same secretary/admin-assistant arrangements that you find in other professions.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:38 am

Thesaurus wrote:How many professional/office workers outside of the law actually have secretaries though?
They're not at all unique/specific to law, and I don't know why you'd think that.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:08 am

rahulg91 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
Lol @ this "profession"
If you are getting a $15k bonus, I'm p sure you can break off $200 for your assistant. Come on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”