To what extent is it appropriate to share news of an offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
radio1nowhere

Bronze

Re: To what extent is it appropriate to share news of an offer?

Post by radio1nowhere » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote: They tend to be the kind of people I don't like much, but hey — you make your own choices.
I posted the question because I didn't know the etiquette, and I posted anonymously because I wanted to find out with out people being judgmental. The snark is kind of unnecessary.
Lmao posting anonymously does not prevent others from judging you. If anything, anonymous posting allows people to more easily express their judgment. You should have probably realized by now that by posting this socially clueless question, you have made yourself "that guy/girl."
Tbh I wasn't even trying to be snarky, I was trying to present my advice as personal opinion, not gospel — not everyone on TLS needs to make the choice that I would make. That may be the mildest comment of mine that a thin-skinned TLS anon has ever taken offense at..

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Those who don't know you might misunderstand your intentions.

A lot of upper middle class women (and men) at my law school go around loudly announcing their offers--I think with the intention of inspiring envy and embarassment in as many people as possible.

Those people are nasty and vicious, and everybody knows what they're trying to do.

Ask yourself what you're truly looking for by announcing your offer.

LinkedIn is fine, because that platform is intended for bragging.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:53 pm

This is a strong contender for the most TLS thread in the history of TLS

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:20 pm

killingmesoftly wrote:If you feel the need to humble brag on tls then you're probably the type of asshole that people already hate, so I say go for it, you aren't losing anything.

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Post by LurkerTurnedMember » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Do people "announce" their jobs now? Lol if you don't work there now, there's nothing to announce. You're still unemployed and haven't "landed" the job until your first day at work. If you work there now, or once you start, put it on your linked in and resume. Of course, this requires NO need to make it pronounced. It's a click of a few computer keys, all by yourself, at home. The only time anyone else (other than linked in or resume) should know is if they directly ask you (for a job application or during conversation they say, "where do you work?").

Also, stop "updating" people on your social media. No one cares where you work any more than they care what you had for breakfast. In fact, when interviewing, if I notice you post dumb posts like that online, I interpret that as an inability to control yourself and keep things confidential, which isn't a good quality to have. The last thing I want is a client's info, even public info, blasted on a lawyer's social media. And believe it or not I've seen lawyers be admonished by judges for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 pm

An anecdote that you might find helpful: one of my classmates posted a "subtle" facebook status about how their dreams of being a big shot NYC lawyer were now being fulfilled. While the status might have been okay later on, it was posted in the middle of OCI when most people were still in the midst of securing a summer position. It definitely rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, so I would advise against it.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Announce it. It's your social media page. If someone doesn't like it, they can delete you. That's what I do when I don't like the way someone goes about an announcement.

Just don't be melodramatic about it. You don't need to say: "So honored and excited to announce that I've fulfilled a life long dream of becoming a lawyer and received an offer from Skadden, one of the best law firms in the world. Thank you so much to everyone who's supported me and believed in me along the way."

"Happy to share that I've accepted an offer to join Skadden next summer. Excited to spend the summer in New York City." is fine.

Again, it's your social media. The point of this shit is to publicly state things that are relevant to you. If someone you know and like is struggling and you know about it, hide them on the post.

Enjoy the likes.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 am

LurkerTurnedMember wrote: You're still unemployed and haven't "landed" the job until your first day at work. If you work there now, or once you start, put it on your linked in and resume.
This is going a bit far. You should absolutely add your SA position to your resume and LinkedIn once you accept the offer. If you're applying for clerkships, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by not indicating that you've secured a summer position. And in general, anticipated/expected start dates on resumes are totally acceptable. It would be silly to not have those as a law student, because your resume is mostly full of signaling devices, not substantive work.

But yes, OP, posting it to social media is a dick move. Have some humility.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:To what extent is it appropriate to share news of a summer associate offer, or for that matter, an offer to return? Obviously I'm sensitive to those who are still going through the process and haven't found anything yet, so it's not like it'd go around telling classmates randomly.

But what about sharing on social media? At what point do you add it to something like a linkedin profile, or to a resume? Whats the etiquette, what's appropriate, what is tacky?
you might think people will care; sorry to tell you but no one will. the only people who will care are those who won't have the success you are having (congrats, btw) and will instead feel left out and resentful towards you. Best if you just keep it to yourself. Tell some close friends in person when appropriate but no one likes a humblebrag or a boaster. Just be a normal, good person and carry on with life.

You don't add it to your linkedIn until you start. Then you can put it. Don't be a showboater and put it on 6 months in advance, that's just sophomoric.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote: you might think people will care; sorry to tell you but no one will. the only people who will care are those who won't have the success you are having (congrats, btw) and will instead feel left out and resentful towards you.
Are you similarly negativistic about people sharing news about getting engaged on social media?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: you might think people will care; sorry to tell you but no one will. the only people who will care are those who won't have the success you are having (congrats, btw) and will instead feel left out and resentful towards you.
Are you similarly negativistic about people sharing news about getting engaged on social media?
Exactly. While I personally wouldn't post it on social media until I start working, it would be cool to see my classmates make their updates. I actually like my classmates and want to see them succeed, so seeing them doing so is fun to see. It also lets me know what city they will be in, which could be something to reach out about even if we're not close friends. Holding it against them is a bit vindictive and small.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
People aren't competing with you to get engaged in the same season the same way that they are competing for jobs during OCI. It would be more like announcing your engagement to an audience of the fiance(e)'s exes.

I think it's totally fine if you really want to put it on social media. Personally, I would block law school classmates from seeing it (unless they're really close friends), because that's who will find it obnoxious/salt-rubbing if their search isn't going the way they want it. If you don't care about that, go for it, but struggling on the market can really mess with people's heads, and I prefer not to exacerbate that.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:30 am

I love the anonymity ITT. Keep those usernames hidden while espousing generic opinions!
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:57 am

Nebby wrote:Senior posters? Like, you wear depends? No "senior" TLS poster would refer to themselves as "senior"
Seriously, Nebby? There's no reason to be condescending/make terrible jokes at, yes, our more senior posters.

Anon - it was very clear what you meant.

OP - this is generally TCR:
cfcm wrote:My two cents:

Social media: Never
LinkedIn: When SA starts, if then
Resume: Sure
Last edited by JenDarby on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Always appreciated knowing who was getting what offers whenever possible, even when I didn't have an offer myself. The information, especially during 1L, can be helpful, and it really shouldn't add to the suckage of not having an offer in a substantial enough way to outweigh the benefit of extra information. Not having a job sucks because of reasons relating to personal finances and, possibly, a comparison to the aggregate expectation, not because Billy Bob got an offer that will (maybe) make him happy. This stigma against sharing is as annoying as the one against talking about salaries. That said, I personally keep that stuff somewhat close to the vest, so I guess I'm part of the problem.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 pm

I personally wouldn't, but I don't see it as taboo, either. I tend to use social media differently than most people who accept everybody that requests friendship, though, which makes it more likely that the people who would see my getting a job as positive rather than obnoxious. (Although I think I can't stop people from following me on Twitter if they so choose, but at least on Facebook I can pick and choose my "friends.")
I think it's totally fine if you really want to put it on social media. Personally, I would block law school classmates from seeing it (unless they're really close friends), because that's who will find it obnoxious/salt-rubbing if their search isn't going the way they want it. If you don't care about that, go for it, but struggling on the market can really mess with people's heads, and I prefer not to exacerbate that.
This is like the 10293812901th time I've agreed with Nony on something, but the above is how I'd approach it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you might think people will care; sorry to tell you but no one will. the only people who will care are those who won't have the success you are having (congrats, btw) and will instead feel left out and resentful towards you.
Anecdata, but I posted about my job on FB right before graduation. People whom I hadn't talked to recently enough to know they had connections in the office then texted/messaged me to offer to set up coffee dates/etc. with the people they knew there. Now I've got at least 3-4 people who have offered to show me around and take me out to lunch during the first month I'm there. So there is a benefit to posting on social media outside of bragging, and if you have nice friends, they will care and may be able to help you out, even if you aren't all besties.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:25 pm

I think sharing outside of OCI season/at graduation is completely different from sharing as soon as you get an offer/before you even start for 2L summer, though.

Lawnghorn_2018

New

Post by Lawnghorn_2018 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Pro Tip: If you are obliged to share the news of your off on Facebook, at least customize the post to exclude your fellow classmates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To what extent is it appropriate to share news of a summer associate offer, or for that matter, an offer to return? Obviously I'm sensitive to those who are still going through the process and haven't found anything yet, so it's not like it'd go around telling classmates randomly.

But what about sharing on social media? At what point do you add it to something like a linkedin profile, or to a resume? Whats the etiquette, what's appropriate, what is tacky?
Linkedin - add when you start

Resume - add when you start, unless for clerkship apps, add an expected line

Social media - you do you. If you were mingling at a party, would you announce this to a group of acquaintances? If yes, then go ahead. If no, then don't.

However, as a heads up, announcing a two month job (especially almost a year in advance) in a social setting would be considered bragging in most instances. And people tend to not like it when people brag.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Judging by this thread, at least a sizable minority of law students would find posting a 2L job offer on Facebook immediately after OCI unnecessary at best (and distasteful at worst). If you're okay with that, you should just post. If you're worried about coming across as a humblebrag, then don't.

For what it's worth, many (most? It's hard to say) students at my school didn't like the fact that a couple people posted their accepted offers on Facebook post-OCI.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Post by masque du pantsu » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:59 pm

chiming in to say that i'd be down to hear about PR squats

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote: However, as a heads up, announcing a two month job (especially almost a year in advance) in a social setting would be considered bragging in most instances. And people tend to not like it when people brag.
Social Setting
-Hey man, how's law school treating you?
-Not bad, just wrapped up summer recruiting stuff and about to start classes up again.
-Oh cool, how was recruiting? (Or, what will you be doing?)

Responding with where you will be is not bragging even if you're surrounded by a bunch of other people in this social setting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: However, as a heads up, announcing a two month job (especially almost a year in advance) in a social setting would be considered bragging in most instances. And people tend to not like it when people brag.
Social Setting
-Not bad, just wrapped up summer recruiting stuff and about to start classes up again.

Responding with where you will be is not bragging even if you're surrounded by a bunch of other people in this social setting.
Anonymous here - you took my quote out of context, I was specifically talking about announcing it at a party. :roll:

Posting on Facebook is equivalent to doing a champagne toast at a party / announcing it to everyone at a party.

Talking about it with close friends or family members (or with people that specifically ask you about how recruiting went) is different.

This thread is getting ridiculous! OP, if you really want to post it on FB that badly, go ahead.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Social Setting

But then it wouldn't be an announcement, it would be answering a question. (Scooped.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”