. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Milbank, Jones Day, Baker Hostetler, or Duane Morris?

Milbank
55%
Jones Day
24%
Baker Hostetler
12%
Duane Morris
9%

Total votes: 33

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:01 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Milbank vs Jones Day vs Baker Hostetler vs Duane Morris (non-NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Milbank pays market and you said it is in a major city. Milbank has also been quick to match the csw scale and bonus raises each time they have happened. These seem like material pluses, no?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Milbank D.C.? I mean, generally not known for lit but at least DC is more justifiable. LA has IP and commercial lit but still, not known for it. Though I suppose the culture and pay is good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wonnker

New

Post by Wonnker » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Fun story about Milbank, just in case you didn't read it for ProRep: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1148010.html. Apparently Mr. Gellene isn't there anymore lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wonnker wrote:Fun story about Milbank, just in case you didn't read it for ProRep: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1148010.html. Apparently Mr. Gellene isn't there anymore lol
Thanks, I didn't know about this - would you say this is widely known/publicly reflects on the whole firm?

Also, can anyone speak more generally to the culture at Milbank or JD?
We call it Chillbank, bruh. That should tell you all you need to know.

No idea who that clown is in that case. If you're looking at the LA office, we have minimal interaction with the NYC folks. Super mellow here. People arrive 9:30-10 (except for first years), and leave when they need to leave. AIP is a bit more intense, but if you're going for litigation, it doesnt matter. Litigation group is super mellow group of people doing great work. I can't imagine practicing law in a better environment that pays top of the market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wonnker wrote:Fun story about Milbank, just in case you didn't read it for ProRep: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1148010.html. Apparently Mr. Gellene isn't there anymore lol
Thanks, I didn't know about this - would you say this is widely known/publicly reflects on the whole firm?

No idea who that clown is in that case. If you're looking at the LA office, we have minimal interaction with the NYC folks. Super mellow here. People arrive 9:30-10 (except for first years), and leave when they need to leave. AIP is a bit more intense, but if you're going for litigation, it doesnt matter. Litigation group is super mellow group of people doing great work. I can't imagine practicing law in a better environment that pays top of the market.
Milbank LA associate here. Generally agree with everything said. The lit group here is awesome; everybody gets along and they're working on some really cool stuff at the moment. Milbank's lit department is a lot better than people give it credit for, but I think that's partially just because some of our elite transactional groups get most of the recognition (i.e., PF, Restructuring, etc.). Even the chairman of the firm is a litigator. Also, that case is from 1999 and I've never heard of it, but nice solid attempt at trolling the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 pm

JD Chicago assoc. I know a little about Baker and DM and can't really imagine choosing either over JD. Don't know anything about Milbank. In a vacuum, the reasons to choose JD (at least in my view) are substantive experience and longevity. JD staffs litigation very lean so you get to take depos, cover hearings etc much earlier than at peer firms. Also we're a single tier p-ship, and making it remains a somewhat reasonable goal.

I like who I work with and like my job probably 3.5 out of 5 days a week.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:JD Chicago assoc. I know a little about Baker and DM and can't really imagine choosing either over JD. Don't know anything about Milbank. In a vacuum, the reasons to choose JD (at least in my view) are substantive experience and longevity. JD staffs litigation very lean so you get to take depos, cover hearings etc much earlier than at peer firms. Also we're a single tier p-ship, and making it remains a somewhat reasonable goal.

I like who I work with and like my job probably 3.5 out of 5 days a week.
Tell me a firm that doesn't say it staffs things lean.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Personally, I'd take guaranteed market scale than risk the stupid JD black box, but that's just me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Personally, I'd take guaranteed market scale than risk the stupid JD black box, but that's just me.
The JD office I'm considering is in a very cheap flyover state, and would give me way more buying power than I would get with market in a big city. Otherwise you're right, I would definitely go with market rate.
Fully agree with LaLiblabla.

Assuming you have ties to the flyover state. If so, great (I guess?). Otherwise there is more at stake than being a renter vs. being a potential owner; LA and DC have a lot to offer culturally that you can't get in, say, Cleveland.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:46 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Personally, I'd take guaranteed market scale than risk the stupid JD black box, but that's just me.
The JD office I'm considering is in a very cheap flyover state, and would give me way more buying power than I would get with market in a big city. Otherwise you're right, I would definitely go with market rate.
Fully agree with LaLiblabla.

Assuming you have ties to the flyover state. If so, great (I guess?). Otherwise there is more at stake than being a renter vs. being a potential owner; LA and DC have a lot to offer culturally that you can't get in, say, Cleveland.
Cleveland is the best city on the planet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:59 pm

OP. You should pick the firm in the location you would like to settle down in.

I assume JD/Baker are in Cleveland. I worked there.
JD has -> More prestige, better lawyers/matters and the most national/international reach.

Baker has -> Better hours and pay sometimes (no bonus at JD and black box can screw you).

Milbank (in NY) has never seemed like an awesome place, but in what ever market your looking in it maybe.

DM -> take this job if the other options are mail and pray or food stamps.

I have seen JD people lose Cleveland in-house gigs to out of state (NYC/DC) folks so it's not like they have a wall around the in-house mkt there, but their brand is better then Baker and would allow you to move to a different city internally (usually).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:12 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:41 am

Pretty sure I know who you are and I interviewed you at Milbank. If you are who I think you are, everyone liked you and I think you'd fit in well here. It's a pretty great firm (no hours requirement for bonuses, great people, great practice groups, very laid back, etc.). But that's just my $.02.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Pretty sure I know who you are and I interviewed you at Milbank. If you are who I think you are, everyone liked you and I think you'd fit in well here. It's a pretty great firm (no hours requirement for bonuses, great people, great practice groups, very laid back, etc.). But that's just my $.02.
If I'm the guy you're thinking of, thank you! I really liked everyone there!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Milbank LA associate here. Generally agree with everything said. The lit group here is awesome; everybody gets along and they're working on some really cool stuff at the moment. Milbank's lit department is a lot better than people give it credit for, but I think that's partially just because some of our elite transactional groups get most of the recognition (i.e., PF, Restructuring, etc.). Even the chairman of the firm is a litigator. Also, that case is from 1999 and I've never heard of it, but nice solid attempt at trolling the firm.
For the record, not trying to troll the firm; I know very little about Milbank and every big firm has had its share of morons that made the firm look bad. I just recently read this case in my ProRep book and was reminded of it when I saw the thread, thought people might enjoy it.

Having said that, I will never buy insurance from State Farm, precisely because they have shown up so many times in my casebooks for doing shady shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”