Midlaw over Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Midlaw over Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:54 am

What are main factors to consider when taking a Midlaw offer over a Biglaw?

So far, the Midlaw pays market but the lockstep raise increases in smaller bits than biglaw. Billables are significantly less. And partnership track seems more attainable in Midlaw.

Any input?

Anonymous User

Re: Midlaw over Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 am

What their offer rate is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:03 pm

It's 100% for both, as of last year and the year before. Anyone have experience of what it's like to be in a partnership track at Midlaw?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Are you sure there's enough work to go around that there's no danger of missing the minimum? Not a dig against midlaw - this is the case at some biglaw firms too - but it's important to consider. There really are firms that routinely overhire and then let go associates who aren't able to secure enough work to make their billables. I guess this helps them identify the "best" (or at least most popular with rainmakers) associates through natural selection. Can't rationalize it otherwise.

On the flip side, are you sure the work/life balance is actually significantly better at the midlaw firm? There are firms (again including biglaw firms) that have low minimum billables, but in fact the stated minimum is kind of meaningless because there's so much work, it'd be impossible to avoid way overshooting the minimum.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 am

The way it was put to me--which jives with my experience over the last several years--is that you can only go down the ladder. You are likely to see a fair number of former biglaw associates lateral their way into the midlaw firms as midlevels and seniors. If you have the shot at doing biglaw for a few years, you'll be able to go to midlaw later and likely receive a boost toward partnership. If you start at midlaw, you'll be competing with those biglaw refugees. This is obviously firm specific, but I've already seen a handful of biglaw classmates move to smaller firms and I'm only three years out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 am

OutCold wrote:The way it was put to me--which jives with my experience over the last several years--is that you can only go down the ladder. You are likely to see a fair number of former biglaw associates lateral their way into the midlaw firms as midlevels and seniors. If you have the shot at doing biglaw for a few years, you'll be able to go to midlaw later and likely receive a boost toward partnership. If you start at midlaw, you'll be competing with those biglaw refugees. This is obviously firm specific, but I've already seen a handful of biglaw classmates move to smaller firms and I'm only three years out.
I don't think that's 100% true. It's definitely easier to go down the ladder, but I've seen plenty of people climb up the rankings.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 am

dailygrind wrote:
OutCold wrote:The way it was put to me--which jives with my experience over the last several years--is that you can only go down the ladder. You are likely to see a fair number of former biglaw associates lateral their way into the midlaw firms as midlevels and seniors. If you have the shot at doing biglaw for a few years, you'll be able to go to midlaw later and likely receive a boost toward partnership. If you start at midlaw, you'll be competing with those biglaw refugees. This is obviously firm specific, but I've already seen a handful of biglaw classmates move to smaller firms and I'm only three years out.
I don't think that's 100% true. It's definitely easier to go down the ladder, but I've seen plenty of people climb up the rankings.
I meant more from midlaw up to biglaw rather than up the vault or NLJ rankings. But you are right, I have seen a handful go from midlaw to biglaw. I think that is pretty limited to secondary and tertiary markets though, where some of the work overlaps.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:57 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Especially where you focus on a niche market or specialize in a certain area. Biglaw seems to always be picking some midlaw attorneys for their specific practice groups where they know midlaw associates get a good amount of experience and exposure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:16 pm

OP here. Thanks for the input. They are good considerations. If i go midlaw, i will most likely stay as long as I can until partnership, barring any setbacks. I see myself with this firm in the long run as opposed to a biglaw, where I may leave early or be pushed out. However, the salary/bonus/exit of biglaw definitely adds an overlay of appeal that persuades me to choose biglaw.

Also, seems like the midlaw firm here does not have too many laterals. Rather most partners/associates are those who have worked here since law school. Would the fact that they either make you a equity or non-equity partner your 8th year change things for you guys?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”