Rotation v. No-Rotation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rotation v. No-Rotation

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 am

I'm deciding between two firms that are basically the same in my mind other than how they structure their summer programs/first-year assignments.

One firm has a set rotation system for the summer (2-3 groups) and then you rank your practice groups at the end and are assigned to your first choice (usually). The other has you rank your top five practice areas and then has your coordinating attorneys assign you work based off of those interests, or other interests you express once you're there, and then gives you two years to pick a practice group after returning the first year.

I have no idea what type of law I want to do -- like not even sure if I want to do corporate or litigation -- so I'm not sure if the rotation system would be helpful or limiting, and I'm kind of worried about picking a practice group after only 3-4 weeks with them. Everyone I've talked to who summered at these firms says their system is better, but they all also went in knowing they wanted to do corporate...

So basically, for someone who has no idea what type of law they want to practice, which system is better?

Anonymous User

Re: Rotation v. No-Rotation

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:22 am

I would say more freedom as a summer/junior is better. You'll get more of a chance to try different varieties of work, and even if you think you have some particular practice area in mind, you might wind up hating it and be grateful for the two years to figure it out. I thought I was for sure going to do private equity when I started, then realized after a handful of deals that I hated it, and wound up doing more emerging company work and capital markets, which I enjoy a lot more, but didn't really know until 6 months or so into my first year.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”