Ropes & Gray or Jones Day (Chicago offices) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ropes & Gray or Jones Day (Chicago offices)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 pm

I am trying to decide between Ropes and JD for their Chicago offices. I really liked my CBs for different reasons. JD people seemed friendly and they're better known in Chicago. I also like a specific practice Ropes has, and I think I will like the smaller office vibe. Any insights into what you've heard about those offices? Exit options and friendly culture are my top priorities. Also, I want to do litigation. Thanks for the help.

Anonymous User

Re: Ropes & Gray or Jones Day (Chicago offices)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am trying to decide between Ropes and JD for their Chicago offices. I really liked my CBs for different reasons. JD people seemed friendly and they're better known in Chicago. I also like a specific practice Ropes has, and I think I will like the smaller office vibe. Any insights into what you've heard about those offices? Exit options and friendly culture are my top priorities. Also, I want to do litigation. Thanks for the help.
I didn't interview with Ropes, but JD Chi office seems nice. A friend of mine is in love with Ropes Chi office though, so YMMV. Sorry if this wasn't helpful.

Waiting for Offer/Ding from JD. Could you tell me what day of the week you got your offer? It would make my stress level much more manageable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 am

OP here. My CB was Wednesday and offer was Thursday of last week.

Any other advice for this? Jones Day definitely has the better name in Chicago/Midwest in general, which is where I want to stay. I also really liked the people. Ropes' Chicago office has a solid gov. enforcement practice which I like a lot. My goal is to work in the federal government (AUSA/trial attorney for an agency, etc) so it has a lot of appeal to me too.

Is the JD Midwest prestige worth it to choose over a smaller Ropes office that specializes in something I'm interested in?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. My CB was Wednesday and offer was Thursday of last week.

Any other advice for this? Jones Day definitely has the better name in Chicago/Midwest in general, which is where I want to stay. I also really liked the people. Ropes' Chicago office has a solid gov. enforcement practice which I like a lot. My goal is to work in the federal government (AUSA/trial attorney for an agency, etc) so it has a lot of appeal to me too.

Is the JD Midwest prestige worth it to choose over a smaller Ropes office that specializes in something I'm interested in?
I would say absolutely not. Future employers will know Ropes and IMO give it the same "prestige level" as JD throughout the midwest. Honestly, I think JD only has a significant midwest prestige bump in Ohio, but even that is negligible.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. My CB was Wednesday and offer was Thursday of last week.

I really hope you haven't accepted an offer at Ropes yet. The managing partner at Ropes Chicago and another partner in the gov. enforcement practice are moving to Kirkland.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm just reading all about this. I know this can mean several things, but it definitely makes me nervous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:18 pm

As a general rule, unless you have substantial work experience in the area of practice you're interested in, it's unwise to choose a firm based on your interest after 1L. Most people's interest is a moving target even into the first few years of their career.

FWIW I'm a JD Chicago midlevel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a general rule, unless you have substantial work experience in the area of practice you're interested in, it's unwise to choose a firm based on your interest after 1L. Most people's interest is a moving target even into the first few years of their career.

FWIW I'm a JD Chicago midlevel.
Do you know what kind of timeline to expect after a callback? Interviewed with your office and loved it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:59 pm

At least based on when I've gotten emails saying someone I interviewed/had lunch with got an offer, it seems like 4 days to a week. Probably depends on when recruiting folk are travelling. I can tell you that the process to fill the class takes some time so unless you get a ding, you're still in the running.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:At least based on when I've gotten emails saying someone I interviewed/had lunch with got an offer, it seems like 4 days to a week. Probably depends on when recruiting folk are travelling. I can tell you that the process to fill the class takes some time so unless you get a ding, you're still in the running.
Got no offered. Oh well. Maybe down the road.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At least based on when I've gotten emails saying someone I interviewed/had lunch with got an offer, it seems like 4 days to a week. Probably depends on when recruiting folk are travelling. I can tell you that the process to fill the class takes some time so unless you get a ding, you're still in the running.
Sorry, that's never any fun. Good luck on the search.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You got rejected or just haven't received an offer yet? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Rejected. I got my second choice so things could be worse. Just liked the people there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Rejected. I got my second choice so things could be worse. Just liked the people there.
Sorry to hear that. Just to be clear -- you were rejected from Ropes and not Jones Day? And it was this week? Congrats on your 2nd choice!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”