Dropped out multiple times, poor GPA, am I employable? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dropped out multiple times, poor GPA, am I employable?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:49 am

2.5 GPA
Two years left to bring my GPA up
Attend a T-14
Multiple drop outs

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Dropped out multiple times, poor GPA, am I employable?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:52 am

wait what?

You are a t14 student currently with a 1l gpa of 2.5 and previously dropped out of law school, yet you are a current student at a t14? That correct?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:58 am

sparkytrainer wrote:wait what?

You are a t14 student currently with a 1l gpa of 2.5 and previously dropped out of law school, yet you are a current student at a t14? That correct?
OP here. I have one year's worth of credits but have dropped out multiple times due to mental health issues. I am healthy now though and would like to continue pursuing my JD if I'm not unemployable after graduation.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I have one year's worth of credits but have dropped out multiple times due to mental health issues. I am healthy now though and would like to continue pursuing my JD if I'm not unemployable after graduation.
So you are not currently a law student?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:07 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No. I'm contemplating returning this semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is that a real possibility? And would you be able to go back to your T14 school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:18 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is that a real possibility? And would you be able to go back to your T14 school?
I think by "dropping out", OP probably just meant "taking a leave of absence"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 pm

What do you want to do with your life? Why law?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:56 pm

I wouldn't go back to law school and it isn't a question of employability. I am going to assume that some of the mental health issues from which you suffered were exacerbated by the pressures of law school. The pressures of practice are much, much worse. I could understand how walking away from LS could affect self worth and make you feel untethered, and in that regard, affect mental health. But you have your whole life ahead of you and far better ways to make a buck and live life.

texas1100

New

Post by texas1100 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Agreed ^^

koalas

New

Post by koalas » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:14 pm

I think it depends on what your alternative plan would be. What do you want to do after law school and why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't go back to law school and it isn't a question of employability. I am going to assume that some of the mental health issues from which you suffered were exacerbated by the pressures of law school. The pressures of practice are much, much worse. I could understand how walking away from LS could affect self worth and make you feel untethered, and in that regard, affect mental health. But you have your whole life ahead of you and far better ways to make a buck and live life.
OP here. I like law. I was having issues with psychosis that have since been resolved.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:21 pm

I think above posters are assuming a lot. Many people with mental illness are just as capable of working a stressful job as anyone else, once they are able to manage their condition. There are mentally ill people all around you in law school and law firms - and I don't mean the ones who are obviously crazy, I mean many of the "normal" ones are people who live with mental illness, and you'd never know it because that's how treatable this stuff is.

Honestly OP, I think your biggest problem is the 2.5 GPA, although some employers may also view the medical leaves as red flags. Any chance you can work for a couple years and take a fresh crack at law school, with a clean transcript and some distance between you and your prior attempt?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:22 pm

koalas wrote:I think it depends on what your alternative plan would be. What do you want to do after law school and why?
If possible, I would like to work at a law firm or a government agency, preferably the former. I enjoy law school. I've had mental health issues hold me back the past few years and ended up in this hole.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
koalas wrote:I think it depends on what your alternative plan would be. What do you want to do after law school and why?
If possible, I would like to work at a law firm or a government agency, preferably the former. I enjoy law school. I've had mental health issues hold me back the past few years and ended up in this hole.
I think a lot turns on what type of firm you want (i.e., biglaw/specific market or open to alternatives?) and how willing you are to persevere in the face of rejections and people constantly questioning your capabilities due to your grades. If this is your dream and you are 100% committed, then I would say go for it. If you are here for the money or because you don't know what you want to do with your life, I'd ask what your best alternative is and try do an objective cost benefit analysis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Something that hasn't been mentioned is whether you could get licensed. You mentioned psychosis above and if I recall correctly, state bars are usually more concerned about the bipolar/schizophrenia type stuff than major depression & anxiety. Law firms, particularly biglaw might be rough with that gpa. The feds do background checks that ask about mental health too (state and local govts less so).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”