Worried I will Strike out in CBs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worried I will Strike out in CBs

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:47 am

Does anyone have tips for trying to manage anxiety about this process? I have done 6 CBs and have 6 more scheduled next week (a few beyond that, but I suspect they will be too late to matter). I believe that I am a good interviewer, or else I would not have received a decent number of CBs, but am also worried that I have not had offers, yet. I cannot think of anything that I am doing that would make me seem like "not a good fit," but I could be missing something. Any thoughts on this?

Also, some of the CBs have really grilled me on my summer assignments and writing sample, asking very specific questions about the legal reasoning. Is this normal? Could this be because I go to a TT school?

Anonymous User

Re: Worried I will Strike out in CBs

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have tips for trying to manage anxiety about this process? I have done 6 CBs and have 6 more scheduled next week (a few beyond that, but I suspect they will be too late to matter). I believe that I am a good interviewer, or else I would not have received a decent number of CBs, but am also worried that I have not had offers, yet. I cannot think of anything that I am doing that would make me seem like "not a good fit," but I could be missing something. Any thoughts on this?

Also, some of the CBs have really grilled me on my summer assignments and writing sample, asking very specific questions about the legal reasoning. Is this normal? Could this be because I go to a TT school?
I thought I was a really good interviewer too, but ya, that doesn't guarantee an offer. I found that inexperienced and unprepared interviewers tended to do what you described above, it's a ail-safe way to get through that half-hour block.

Also, some interviewers use a confrontational style on purpose, to see how you respond. Is just another way of getting to know you. Don't take it personal and don't sweat it if you felt like you didn't do well.

No offers yet is not a big deal at all. I know very few people who have done callback's through OCI and gotten an offer already.

PotatoSalad

New

Post by PotatoSalad » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:07 am

I do not think you should be overly worried. If they're asking substantive questions of you it could be a sign that they like you as a person, are hesitant about the TT, but are giving you the opportunity to show you know your stuff and are capable.

A quick scan of this forum seems to show several major schools (Harvard, NYU, UVA, GULC) are doing their on campus interviews this week and will likely start doing callbacks next week. The firms you interviewed with may be trying to see what the crop of candidates are like at those Schools before extending an offer to you. It's nothing against you but they're trying to get the best group of SAs they can and perhaps don't want to give away an offer to a compelling student from a TT before knowing what the recruiting season is looking like.

I would say if you haven't gotten a ding at this point, you're probably very seriously in the running. They've determined there were no red flags and haven't had a reason to take you off their lists. Do your best, keep your chin up, and keep mass mailing. 6 CB is something to take pride in and you shouldn't let the craziness of this system get in your head.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 am

PotatoSalad wrote:I do not think you should be overly worried. If they're asking substantive questions of you it could be a sign that they like you as a person, are hesitant about the TT, but are giving you the opportunity to show you know your stuff and are capable.

A quick scan of this forum seems to show several major schools (Harvard, NYU, UVA, GULC) are doing their on campus interviews this week and will likely start doing callbacks next week. The firms you interviewed with may be trying to see what the crop of candidates are like at those Schools before extending an offer to you. It's nothing against you but they're trying to get the best group of SAs they can and perhaps don't want to give away an offer to a compelling student from a TT before knowing what the recruiting season is looking like.

I would say if you haven't gotten a ding at this point, you're probably very seriously in the running. They've determined there were no red flags and haven't had a reason to take you off their lists. Do your best, keep your chin up, and keep mass mailing. 6 CB is something to take pride in and you shouldn't let the craziness of this system get in your head.
This

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:20 am

6 CB is something to take pride in and you shouldn't let the craziness of this system get in your head.
OP here. Thank you for this. It is all very crazy making. Hard to not beat yourself up / second guess every word uttered.

At what point after CBs is it acceptable to email recruiters to check in?

Also, I am following the conventional wisdom and NOT sending thank-yous after, so I am wondering if that is why I am not getting offers, yet (I don't seem thankful / interested)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
6 CB is something to take pride in and you shouldn't let the craziness of this system get in your head.
OP here. Thank you for this. It is all very crazy making. Hard to not beat yourself up / second guess every word uttered.

At what point after CBs is it acceptable to email recruiters to check in?

Also, I am following the conventional wisdom and NOT sending thank-yous after, so I am wondering if that is why I am not getting offers, yet (I don't seem thankful / interested)?
I think ~3 weeks for a e-mail expressing continued interest?

Also, I lol'd at the "conventional wisdom" comment since I'm pretty sure TLS is pretty split on this. I think both sides will claim their side is the conventional wisdom. That being said, I highly doubt a lack of a thank you notes is making a difference.

As someone said earlier, at this point in the cycle, just not getting ding'd at a place should be seen as a positive sign. I wouldn't start worrying unless I had no offers by early September. I didn't get the offer from my current firm until just before Labor Day (and yes, I was panicked during the last week leading up to that offer :)).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 am

I few things I learned.

Be honest about not knowing much about specific subfields but, at the same time, have a compelling reason for wanting x firm memorized and rehearsed. Make up an interest in their strengths if you have to, as long as you have all the bullshit you need to sell the story down.

Idk where oyu are interviewing, but don't even fucking play with mentioning an interest in other regions. You can be honest about the which regions you are targeting but firmly state that your top choice is [their region].

Have a very clean and compelling answer to the why you want to be a lawyer and why you want to be a corporate/lit/whatever lawyer questions. Don't buy all that shit they sell about understanding how lost everyone is at this stage. Sure, they might understand, but they will still pick the person with the compelling narrative over you every time.

Don't ask about work-life balance. Just don't even mess with that. Ask about the culture or whatever but do nothing to risk them thinking that you don't know what you're signing up for.

At this point you probably have a list of little jokes and comic relief lines in your arsenal. Keep using them, try to talk about non-law shit.

If you have already asked a few questions over the convo and have no more questions to ask, it's ok to respond to "any more questions?" with "no, I learned a lot from you, thanks." It's infinitely worse to fumble while straining to think of one last question.

Drink a fuckin doubleshot or something beforehand.

Chat with the recruiting people, make em laugh, have fun.

You don't need to cyber stalk your interviewers and have the most insightful Qs ever.. but memorize their names ahead of time. Every CB ive had at some point or other required remembering one of the previous interviewer's names.

Stay positive. Just stay away from negative TLS threads this month. You obviously have what it takes if you have so many CBs. Good luck!

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote: Drink a fuckin doubleshot or something beforehand.
:?: :?:

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:35 am

Damage Over Time wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Drink a fuckin doubleshot or something beforehand.
:?: :?:
Prob referring to those canned Starbucks drinks. I.e. Go in high energy

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I few things I learned.

Be honest about not knowing much about specific subfields but, at the same time, have a compelling reason for wanting x firm memorized and rehearsed. Make up an interest in their strengths if you have to, as long as you have all the bullshit you need to sell the story down.

Idk where oyu are interviewing, but don't even fucking play with mentioning an interest in other regions. You can be honest about the which regions you are targeting but firmly state that your top choice is [their region].

Have a very clean and compelling answer to the why you want to be a lawyer and why you want to be a corporate/lit/whatever lawyer questions. Don't buy all that shit they sell about understanding how lost everyone is at this stage. Sure, they might understand, but they will still pick the person with the compelling narrative over you every time.

Don't ask about work-life balance. Just don't even mess with that. Ask about the culture or whatever but do nothing to risk them thinking that you don't know what you're signing up for.

At this point you probably have a list of little jokes and comic relief lines in your arsenal. Keep using them, try to talk about non-law shit.

If you have already asked a few questions over the convo and have no more questions to ask, it's ok to respond to "any more questions?" with "no, I learned a lot from you, thanks." It's infinitely worse to fumble while straining to think of one last question.

Drink a fuckin doubleshot or something beforehand.

Chat with the recruiting people, make em laugh, have fun.

You don't need to cyber stalk your interviewers and have the most insightful Qs ever.. but memorize their names ahead of time. Every CB ive had at some point or other required remembering one of the previous interviewer's names.

Stay positive. Just stay away from negative TLS threads this month. You obviously have what it takes if you have so many CBs. Good luck!
All good advice.

Also follow your interviewers' lead. If I'm talking about baseball or whatever, just go with it, don't shoehorn in some comment about how fascinating you think my practice sounds or how my firms collegial atmosphere is great or how you briefed a motion to dismiss over the summer or whatever. Chances are I've decided you're qualified enough (most people we see at callbacks are) and just want to know if I'll enjoy working with you. Come in prepared but chill with your talking points. (FYI this is also a necessary skill as an attorney. If you're in a hearing and the judge wants to know about X you need to know when you should roll with it even though you really wanted to argue Y. I guess it all falls under the heading of judgment and communication skills.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”