Callbacks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tarheel123

New

Callbacks

Post by tarheel123 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but is it standard practice for firms to reimburse travel expenses for callback interviews? Anyone had a firm not reimburse?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Re: Callbacks

Post by KunAgnis » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Big law firms will reimburse; you have to fill out forms that they provide. I'm not sure about other firms.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:57 pm

KunAgnis wrote:Big law firms will reimburse; you have to fill out forms that they provide. I'm not sure about other firms.
Actually, the big firms will direct bill the travel. Each firm will direct you to their travel agency and they will set you up with flights and a hotel (if necessary). You will be reimbursed for cab/uber fare to and from the the airport and any meals that the firm doesn't provide during the CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm

tarheel123 wrote:Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but is it standard practice for firms to reimburse travel expenses for callback interviews? Anyone had a firm not reimburse?
As others have said, yes they will reimburse ground travel/food and direct bill hotel/airfare. If a firm didn't mention anything when you confirmed the CB, just ask if there's a travel agency you can contact to arrange for travel, and they should provide you the information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm

I received a CB at a midlaw firm two hours from my home. Is it normal for them to not offer to put me up the night before (morning interview) or reimburse for travel?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a CB at a midlaw firm two hours from my home. Is it normal for them to not offer to put me up the night before (morning interview) or reimburse for travel?
Have you confirmed it? You might just have to ask what their reimbursement policy is for travel. You won't ruin your chances by asking what their policy is, and if they don't reimburse for travel, it's up to you to figure out how badly you want that job and if you're willing to pay to get there.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a CB at a midlaw firm two hours from my home. Is it normal for them to not offer to put me up the night before (morning interview) or reimburse for travel?
How far from your school? Two hours is cutting it close but I'd say suck it up and make the drive. CBs don't usually start until 10:00 am.
Last edited by MrT on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 pm

MrT wrote:
How far from you school? Two hours is cutting it close but I'd say suck it up and make the drive. CBs don't usually start until 10:00 am.
Just my opinion if they thought you needed a hotel they'd have offered. I have one 2.5 hours from me and they didn't even ask if I wanted one they just made one for me so clearly they thought it was necessary. If they didn't offer I'd just drive up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
How far from you school? Two hours is cutting it close but I'd say suck it up and make the drive. CBs don't usually start until 10:00 am.
Just my opinion if they thought you needed a hotel they'd have offered. I have one 2.5 hours from me and they didn't even ask if I wanted one they just made one for me so clearly they thought it was necessary. If they didn't offer I'd just drive up.
Alternatively, I set up an interview ~2 hours away, they didn't let me know about their travel reimbursement policy. I sent an email to the recruiting contact who set up the interview and asked if I would be allowed a hotel to ensure traffic/travel delays don't mess with the schedule, and they let me know it was absolutely reimbursable. This was a bigger firm, but still it doesn't hurt to ask. It'd be a bigger headache and worse for you and for them if you show up late because you were traveling from far away.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”