Are wedges ever okay for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawcat11

Bronze

Are wedges ever okay for OCI?

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Mine are black patent leather, about 2-21/2 inches and closed toe. I'll wear regular heels if I have to, but I really hate them. Thoughts?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Are wedges ever okay for OCI?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Why even risk it?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:39 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Why even risk it?
I have flat malformed feet and heels just hurt. I figured nice wedges would be better than flats but you're probably right.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Wedges are fine if you're going to be in pain otherwise.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:44 pm

I'd rather be in pain than commit a faux pas, but I'm just basically wondering how much of one it would be. Do all women generally just wear normal heels?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Most women change out of their heels right after the interview and change into them right before. I'm only in heels for the time I'm screening. The second I'm out of the interview area I change. Keep some fold up flats. I've seen so many of my classmates changing in the elevator.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:53 pm

I think wedges are a bit weird. I would go with a flats or heels, maybe switch right before interview since they cause pain.

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 pm

I think you should wear the wedges. Interviewers are not there to judge your shoes - they shouldn't care about those sorts of details as long as you look put together. If the wedges otherwise work with the suit then there is no need to torture yourself with heels. Wearing wedges instead of heels is not going to make or break an interview. Being incredibly uncomfortable because you forced yourself to wear heels might.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:24 pm

giantswan wrote:I think you should wear the wedges. Interviewers are not there to judge your shoes - they shouldn't care about those sorts of details as long as you look put together. If the wedges otherwise work with the suit then there is no need to torture yourself with heels. Wearing wedges instead of heels is not going to make or break an interview. Being incredibly uncomfortable because you forced yourself to wear heels might.
Are you positive about this? Because I personally know hiring partners who are a little old that ding women for wearing pants instead of a dress. For only that reason. Completely sexist and awful, but people like that are out there and interviewing. Literally OP can just have heals in a bag and change right before. Is it really worth the risk?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm a style and etiquette aware male who does callbacks and screeners.

I wouldn't even notice or care.

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:04 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
giantswan wrote:I think you should wear the wedges. Interviewers are not there to judge your shoes - they shouldn't care about those sorts of details as long as you look put together. If the wedges otherwise work with the suit then there is no need to torture yourself with heels. Wearing wedges instead of heels is not going to make or break an interview. Being incredibly uncomfortable because you forced yourself to wear heels might.
Are you positive about this? Because I personally know hiring partners who are a little old that ding women for wearing pants instead of a dress. For only that reason. Completely sexist and awful, but people like that are out there and interviewing. Literally OP can just have heals in a bag and change right before. Is it really worth the risk?
How many of those sexist hiring partners are being sent to OCI by their firms?

I guess never say never. Maybe there is a risk that you interview with someone who will ding you because you wearing wedges rather than heels. My understanding is that OP would be in pain from wearing heels even if she did that - I don't think it's worth the trouble just because of the 0.1% chance she gets the sexist hiring partner at her screener, he notices her shoes, and it matters enough for him to ding her.

ETA: Sorry, accidental anon. This is giantswan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 pm

OP, I'm a fellow woman with malformed feet (3 surgeries later), and it hurts incredibly for me to put on pumps, even for short distances.

I asked my S/O, who works for a major consulting firm, if he'd notice shoes that were slightly different than your standard pumps (e.g. had a heel strap, platforms). He said no.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:

I guess never say never. Maybe there is a risk that you interview with someone who will ding you because you wearing wedges rather than heels. My understanding is that OP would be in pain from wearing heels even if she did that - I don't think it's worth the trouble just because of the 0.1% chance she gets the sexist hiring partner at her screener, he notices her shoes, and it matters enough for him to ding her.

I know 1 hiring partner that has been at OCI's this year and 1 judge who will not hire for the reason I explained above. Listen I agree that the risk is extremely low, but those people do exist. I appreciate OP is in pain, but how much pain is it to take 5 steps into an interview room and then out to change shoes? If it really is that painful, then sure OP take the risk. But if OP can deal, I wouldn't want to risk the 1 potential offer I may have gotten be at risk purely because of this choice. Just my risk adverse nature.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:29 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:

I know 1 hiring partner that has been at OCI's this year and 1 judge who will not hire for the reason I explained above. Listen I agree that the risk is extremely low, but those people do exist. I appreciate OP is in pain, but how much pain is it to take 5 steps into an interview room and then out to change shoes? If it really is that painful, then sure OP take the risk. But if OP can deal, I wouldn't want to risk the 1 potential offer I may have gotten be at risk purely because of this choice. Just my risk adverse nature.

Depending on the issues OP has, it can be a lot of pain and may not necessarily stop once she sits down. Even mild pain at the beginning could throw off her interview. The risk of being dinged by someone for something like that is still close to zero. Even if one of her interviewers is like the hiring partner you mentioned - she would have to wear heels to every interview because she wouldn't know who it could possibly be. This would mean putting herself in pain (or even mild discomfort) for every single screener - I think the risk of that throwing her off during interviews is way greater than the risk you are mentioning. So choosing to wear heels to every interview "just in case" doesn't feel like the risk averse option to me.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 pm

giantswan wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:

Depending on the issues OP has, it can be a lot of pain and may not necessarily stop once she sits down. Even mild pain at the beginning could throw off her interview. The risk of being dinged by someone for something like that is still close to zero. Even if one of her interviewers is like the hiring partner you mentioned - she would have to wear heels to every interview because she wouldn't know who it could possibly be. This would mean putting herself in pain (or even mild discomfort) for every single screener - I think the risk of that throwing her off during interviews is way greater than the risk you are mentioning. So choosing to wear heels to every interview "just in case" doesn't feel like the risk averse option to me.
I guess we are just assuming how much pain OP will have and we have different intuitions on this issue, which is fine. I hope it works out for OP.

PotatoSalad

New

Post by PotatoSalad » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 pm

giantswan wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:

Definitely agree with this. The topic came up in a hospitality suite today (well specifically flats vs heels), and everyone in the room collectively said they couldn't imagine it mattering in the slightest. If an interviewee will be appreciably more comfortable and be able to present better because they aren't suffering, they will perform better in the interviews. The potential upside is far greater than the potential downside of getting one ancient old man interviewing you who has preferences on these things and would let that overcome a good personality and resume.

"Is it worth the risk?" I say absolutely. I also think this is a little more nuanced of a question than dress vs pants. The chances are probably quite high an interviewer wouldn't even notice your shoes so long as they are a professional color and don't draw attention.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 pm

I do not understand why not flats? I do not think I have noticed a single person in my office wearing wedges.If it is unusual at firm, where you can be more casual than In interview, people will find it unusual and inappropriate in the interview even if no sexist motivation. Obviously my firm might be an outlier, but if other people notice a lack of wedges it in their firms too, then probs a bad idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
giantswan wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:

I guess we are just assuming how much pain OP will have and we have different intuitions on this issue, which is fine. I hope it works out for OP.
Thanks! I ended up getting some gel inserts for my heels, and it's helped a little with the pain. I'm going to just have some flats at the ready for in between the interviews. I've never done this long of an interview day with heels so I'm hoping it will work out.
Last edited by Lawcat11 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Pokemon wrote:I do not understand why not flats? I do not think I have noticed a single person in my office wearing wedges.If it is unusual at firm, where you can be more casual than In interview, people will find it unusual and inappropriate in the interview even if no sexist motivation. Obviously my firm might be an outlier, but if other people notice a lack of wedges it in their firms too, then probs a bad idea.
I have some flats that could work but I don't really like the look of them for a formal interview. To me the wedges looked more conservative, plus they helped with my posture without the pain of heels.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:
Pokemon wrote:I do not understand why not flats? I do not think I have noticed a single person in my office wearing wedges.If it is unusual at firm, where you can be more casual than In interview, people will find it unusual and inappropriate in the interview even if no sexist motivation. Obviously my firm might be an outlier, but if other people notice a lack of wedges it in their firms too, then probs a bad idea.
I have some flats that could work but I don't really like the look of them for a formal interview. To me the wedges looked more conservative, plus they helped with my posture without the pain of heels.
If wedges look more appropriatte for formal interview than flats then I guess they are probably fine.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:42 pm

In the off chance that I went to KFC with my OCI interviewer, I would conservatively go with cole slaw rather than potato wedges.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

squishylawstudent321

New

Post by squishylawstudent321 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:30 pm

If you are not wearing Deal Sleds during OCI, you are doing it wrong.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:17 pm

squishylawstudent321 wrote:If you are not wearing Deal Sleds during OCI, you are doing it wrong.
I wear both open and closed wedges to court all the time. Black or navy blue, of course. They are fine for interviews. Long gone are the days that women lawyers wear fuck me pumps on a regular basis.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”