Stay or switch Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stay or switch

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Rising 3L working at a small firm for the summer. They want me to keep working during the school year but there hasn't really been any talk of this turning into an associate position (was told it might at the initial interview but no talk of it since).

I've got an opportunity to take another school year clerkship at another small but larger firm. Again, not sure if this would turn into an actual job (was told pretty much the same thing as first interview). Second firm seems more "prestigious".

Is there any reason to switch or should I just stay where I am. Above median at a lower t1 if that's relevant.

Pokemon

Gold

Re: Stay or switch

Post by Pokemon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L working at a small firm for the summer. They want me to keep working during the school year but there hasn't really been any talk of this turning into an associate position (was told it might at the initial interview but no talk of it since).

I've got an opportunity to take another school year clerkship at another small but larger firm. Again, not sure if this would turn into an actual job (was told pretty much the same thing as first interview). Second firm seems more "prestigious".

Is there any reason to switch or should I just stay where I am. Above median at a lower t1 if that's relevant.
Either way you are taking a chance. If everything else is equal, You do have a clear benefit by switching to the larger smaller firm because more prestigious and maybe you can leverage that on a third post graduate position.
Maybe go for the more prestigious firm after bringing up with the first firm that you are interested in a post grad job? If they say no, then just go to the other one.

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Stay or switch

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Focus less on the word "prestigious" and more on the difference in type of work between the two firms. The work and the people should drive your decision in a small-firm environment.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”