How to handle this situation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
acr

Silver

How to handle this situation?

Post by acr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:38 pm

I recently came into contact with the managing partner of a large firm in my home market through close family friends. We exchanged a few emails back and forth, and the partner eventually offered to take me to lunch. After discussing scheduling options, the partner sent me a range of dates and told me to "let him know if anything works." I responded punctually and let him know various dates that would work from the list he sent me. However, after sending this message to him, I never heard from him again, and the dates originally mentioned have now passed by a few weeks. I would really like to capitalize on this opportunity, but I'm not sure how to bring it up to him again. Any advice regarding how to proceed would be welcome. Thanks!

umichman

Bronze

Re: How to handle this situation?

Post by umichman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 pm

I would email him again and just say you'd love to grab lunch and what days work for him. Realize that those dates have passed, but that you are free whenever works for him. He might have just missed your response email or forgot about you unintentionally.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:50 pm

This happens when you get busy. Likely not a bid deal. Just a simple email, replying to your last email, saying something as simple as "Dear [Mr.]/[Miss]/[If on west coast first name]: Hope all is well. Just wanted to follow up on your offer to speak. I can accommodate your schedule. Please let me know when is convenient. Best, Billy Bob."

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:04 pm

acr wrote:After discussing scheduling options, the partner sent me a range of dates and told me to "let him know if anything works." I responded punctually and let him know various dates that would work from the list he sent me.
FYI the next time this happens, pick ONE day from the list, preferably the earliest, and indicate that you're fine with switching the day if something comes up. He sent you a list to avoid having to back and forth on picking a time.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:12 pm

misterjames wrote:
acr wrote:After discussing scheduling options, the partner sent me a range of dates and told me to "let him know if anything works." I responded punctually and let him know various dates that would work from the list he sent me.
FYI the next time this happens, pick ONE day from the list, preferably the earliest, and indicate that you're fine with switching the day if something comes up. He sent you a list to avoid having to back and forth on picking a time.
Yeah i agree. It's like if I say "Hey, i'm available anytime next week, what works for you?" and you respond "Hey, I'm also available anytime next week, what works for you?!" The convo goes nowhere until one person chooses one day and one time. And since he gave you the range, you should choose one and let him know you're also flexible in case something comes up.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:10 pm

He's just busy and forgot. Best to check-in the day before as Partners can have sometimes crazy erratic schedules and need reminders.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”