In house patent compensation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In house patent compensation?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Mid level patent associate here exploring options. What is a typical in house pay for a patent lawyer?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: In house patent compensation?

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:43 pm

I'm sure it varies widely. Don't you have friends in these positions you can ask? Like a former colleague in your group who went in house?
Last edited by rpupkin on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:06 pm

quote="rpupkin"]I'm sure it varies but widely. Don't you have friends in these positions you can ask? Like a former colleague in your group which went in house?[/quote]

Have one in such a position. Looking for more data points.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 pm

We talking patent pros or patent lit? I can help with one but not the other.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Know someone who knows someone at a major pharmaceutical company in a large secondary market (think Dallas, Chicago, Boston) who makes $300k. Patent pros. I'm not sure what year she is.

Back in the day (3-4 yrs ago) HP was hiring entry level patent counsels for around $120-140k.

That might give you a range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 pm

ExxonMobil starts at ~130k I believe.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Know someone who knows someone at a major pharmaceutical company in a large secondary market (think Dallas, Chicago, Boston) who makes $300k. Patent pros. I'm not sure what year she is.

Back in the day (3-4 yrs ago) HP was hiring entry level patent counsels for around $120-140k.

That might give you a range.

Any more info on your friend's background? That sounds pretty unicorn-like.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 am

Pharma patent prosecutors are usually paid more ($200k+) because of how specialized their knowledge is. For EE/CS the pay range is more like $150-$200k. The pay depends on region, although COL adjustments probably wash out the differences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:51 pm

jhett wrote:Pharma patent prosecutors are usually paid more ($200k+) because of how specialized their knowledge is. For EE/CS the pay range is more like $150-$200k. The pay depends on region, although COL adjustments probably wash out the differences.
Any idea about Dallas/Ft. Worth pharma companies with patent pros groups? Would also be interested in firms in the area they use as outside counsel to try and set myself up for an exit op like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea about Dallas/Ft. Worth pharma companies with patent pros groups? Would also be interested in firms in the area they use as outside counsel to try and set myself up for an exit op like that.
I don't have any inside info about Dallas. It's not a big pharma hotspot as far as I know (that title goes to Boston). Try using NALP or Chambers to search for firms with IP practices in Dallas and dig further from there. Or you can use the USPTO search engine to search for pharma patents and see who the listed attorney/firm is.

Anyone else that can address the question better?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:51 pm

jhett wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea about Dallas/Ft. Worth pharma companies with patent pros groups? Would also be interested in firms in the area they use as outside counsel to try and set myself up for an exit op like that.
I don't have any inside info about Dallas. It's not a big pharma hotspot as far as I know (that title goes to Boston). Try using NALP or Chambers to search for firms with IP practices in Dallas and dig further from there. Or you can use the USPTO search engine to search for pharma patents and see who the listed attorney/firm is.

Anyone else that can address the question better?
That's what I figured (not a bit hotspot), so why I was hoping someone may have some better info. Thanks for the suggestions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”