Pre-OCI With Bad Grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pre-OCI With Bad Grades

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 am

Hi all,

I am planning to start mass mailing for 2L SAs tomorrow, and first wanted input from anyone willing to give it. I go to a T30, 3.27 GPA (no published percentile bands or median, but is likely bottom 50%), secondary journal, some WE, and an A in legal writing - I mention this because it is the only bright spot on my transcript. Since I may not get an interview at (no lottery) OCI, I plan to send as many apps as possible; starting with 250 firms/offices. Target markets right now are west coast (ties), Arizona (ties), Utah, NYC, Boise, Indianapolis.

My question is, would mass mailing prior to OCI be advantageous to an applicant with my stats, or do firms spend this time cherry-picking only the top prospects? In part I want to use the input to strategize my timing, and I also want to temper my expectations.

Thank you so much for any help.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Pre-OCI With Bad Grades

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 am

You gotta go for it. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, but realistically, it's going to be tough. You should definitely send out applications. I also recommend networking. Try to meet up with alumni of your law school. Any advantage is beneficial for you. If you're working this summer in a market you plan to apply to for 2L SAs, make use of this summer to meet up with alumni. Continue to do that while in LS in the fall (if you LS is in or near a market you are targeting) if you don't have a job by then.

I don't know what school you are attending, but biglaw is likely going to be tough to get. But tough isn't impossible. You gotta apply as widely as possible, take every opportunity to network, and work whatever connections you have.

Basically, yes, massmail before OCI and keep massmailing through and after OCI if you don't have a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 pm

OP here. Thank you for your advice and encouragement. I will definitely do what you suggest and network hard this summer.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Got my SA solely through mass mailing. Don't give up. Tons of denial letters will come, but keep blasting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”