Transferring Offices After SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legallybrunette93

New

Transferring Offices After SA

Post by legallybrunette93 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 am

If I receive an offer from my SA firm to return I'm planning on requesting to transfer to a different office because my fiance's job is taking him to a different city where my firm has an office. Is it possible that they could revoke my offer to return if I request to transfer? I know there are NALP rules surrounding this kind of stuff, but I'm not sure if they would apply once I ask to transfer or if firms adhere that strictly to NALP rules. I don't want to put myself in a position where I have no job offer and have to hustle 3L year.

grades??

Silver

Re: Transferring Offices After SA

Post by grades?? » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 am

Just FYI, what happens when they say no? If your fiancé is moving, then are you gonna have to decline the offer? If yes, then go for it. If no, then this could be risky. at my firm a summer has asked already and it's been really awkward since and they told him/her it's not happening.

legallybrunette93

New

Post by legallybrunette93 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:17 am

grades?? wrote:Just FYI, what happens when they say no? If your fiancé is moving, then are you gonna have to decline the offer? If yes, then go for it. If no, then this could be risky. at my firm a summer has asked already and it's been really awkward since and they told him/her it's not happening.
If they say no I would apply to other firms in my fiance's city (I'm going to start mass mailing once I receive an offer), but if I don't end up with an offer from a firm in my fiance's city I would rather stay at my SA office then not have a job.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:27 am

Idk that I would bring it up right away. I'd consider waiting a few months and bring it up as if the news of your fiance's job just occurred. I think it plays better as a sudden/unforeseen situation as opposed to something that has been stewing throughout the summer.

Just my $0.02

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:45 am

RaceJudicata wrote:Idk that I would bring it up right away. I'd consider waiting a few months and bring it up as if the news of your fiance's job just occurred. I think it plays better as a sudden/unforeseen situation as opposed to something that has been stewing throughout the summer.

Just my $0.02
Agreed. Build up some credibility with the firm by putting in ~6 months at least before you ask for the transfer. They'll understand personal circumstances for changing offices, and even if they entertain the idea prior to even starting with the firm, it's just a risky move.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:08 am

UVA2B wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Idk that I would bring it up right away. I'd consider waiting a few months and bring it up as if the news of your fiance's job just occurred. I think it plays better as a sudden/unforeseen situation as opposed to something that has been stewing throughout the summer.

Just my $0.02
Agreed. Build up some credibility with the firm by putting in ~6 months at least before you ask for the transfer. They'll understand personal circumstances for changing offices, and even if they entertain the idea prior to even starting with the firm, it's just a risky move.
OP is currently an SA at the firm. Are you suggesting that they accept the offer, work there next year, and put in 6 months before asking to transfer? That seems overly risk averse.

OP, just ask if it's possible to transfer after you get the offer and explain the situation. I know people who have done this and it's no big deal. They may say no, which could be awkward, but I've never heard of a firm revoking an offer because of a request to transfer. I disagree that it's a risky move, unless someone would like to share stories of people having offers revoked for this.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:26 am

Lavitz wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Just my $0.02
OP is currently an SA at the firm. Are you suggesting that they accept the offer, work there next year, and put in 6 months before asking to transfer? That seems overly risk averse.

OP, just ask if it's possible to transfer after you get the offer and explain the situation. I know people who have done this and it's no big deal. They may say no, which could be awkward, but I've never heard of a firm revoking an offer because of a request to transfer. I disagree that it's a risky move, unless someone would like to share stories of people having offers revoked for this.
It probably is a bit risk averse, I probably fail safe that way to a fault. And I absolutely don't think the offer will be revoked. I just meant it's risky because you could be starting off on the wrong foot if they say no. Then, if forced to accept the offer cause mass mailing didn't work out, they automatically think going into the OP's actual employment that OP doesn't want to be there. It's not a killer, but it's an uphill battle personally and professionally, and I'd hesitate to want to overcome that.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:05 am

UVA2B wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Just my $0.02

It probably is a bit risk averse, I probably fail safe that way to a fault. And I absolutely don't think the offer will be revoked. I just meant it's risky because you could be starting off on the wrong foot if they say no. Then, if forced to accept the offer cause mass mailing didn't work out, they automatically think going into the OP's actual employment that OP doesn't want to be there. It's not a killer, but it's an uphill battle personally and professionally, and I'd hesitate to want to overcome that.
I guess I'm just assuming that OP isn't planning on staying at the SA firm very long no matter what. Even if OP has to go back to the SA firm for a while, I assume they'll keep trying to get back to the city where the person they're going to marry is. So I wouldn't care if some people at the firm think OP doesn't want to be there. Unless OP doesn't talk to anyone at the firm about their personal life, people are going to figure out that OP doesn't want to be there anyway: OP has a fiancé in a different city.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:21 am

UVA2B wrote:

Just my $0.02
I wasn't saying this. I am saying to tell the firm in like November of this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:26 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Just my $0.02
I wasn't saying this. I am saying to tell the firm in like November of this year.
Sorry, misread what you were saying. See above about my general caution toward asking for anything from an employer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:47 am

I did this after my 2L SA. I raised the possibility of transferring near the end of my SA gig and associates were supportive. Then, they gave me work from partners who were located in the city I wanted to transfer to during the last couple of weeks of my SA. This allowed me to have some work product from those partners and make a more compelling case for the transfer.

Every situation will of course be different. Looking back, if I did not raise the possibility of transferring during my SA, I would not have received work from partners who I ended up working for as a first year associate in my desired city. Happy to answer any questions.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did this after my 2L SA. I raised the possibility of transferring near the end of my SA gig and associates were supportive. Then, they gave me work from partners who were located in the city I wanted to transfer to during the last couple of weeks of my SA. This allowed me to have some work product from those partners and make a more compelling case for the transfer.

Every situation will of course be different. Looking back, if I did not raise the possibility of transferring during my SA, I would not have received work from partners who I ended up working for as a first year associate in my desired city. Happy to answer any questions.
^ OP this helps a lot if you are serious. Firm won't just send you to X office if no one knows you there and no one can vouch for your work product. Reach out to people from that office for work and have them recognize your name.

If you wait until after your SA is over very likely won't work (not that it will if you do, but better chances)

legallybrunette93

New

Post by legallybrunette93 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did this after my 2L SA. I raised the possibility of transferring near the end of my SA gig and associates were supportive. Then, they gave me work from partners who were located in the city I wanted to transfer to during the last couple of weeks of my SA. This allowed me to have some work product from those partners and make a more compelling case for the transfer.

OP here, can you PM me? I have some questions, thanks

Also, I've been able to do a few assignments for the office I want to transfer to and I've actually met some of the attorneys I did the assignments for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:24 pm

As Ive said in the other threads that have asked this question, you should find a partner in your current office (or even better in the office you want to move to) who can advocate for you. Whether this is a partner who you've smashed rose with and have good times together socially or a partner who you've done good work for. You just need someone who can go to bat for you. Talk with them initially about the situation, then ask them what they think and if they can help you navigate the process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 pm

I did this at my firm. Wait until your summer is over and you have an offer in hand, and then wait a month or two into the semester before raising the issue with them. This is a perfectly valid reason to ask for your offer to be trasnferred to a different office. Usually the other office will have to sign off, however, so it would be beneficial if you are able to make a connection or two in that office, or at least make a connection with somebody in your current office who will go to bat for you with the new office. It will also help if your firm is a firm-wide free-market firm (where you work is less important from a work-flow perspective), but thats not something you can control, obviously.

Try to make good connections, and do super work your last few weeks of your summer. Then in a couple months craft a compelling email with the reasons you would like to have your offer transferred to the new city. Even if they say no, they arent going to cancel your offer, it will just make for an awkward few months if you end up going there (while you look for new positions in your fiance's city).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”