Pre-lit practice group at a small law firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2016lawgrad

New

Pre-lit practice group at a small law firm

Post by 2016lawgrad » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 pm

What's the general consensus on how it is, how it looks when you are looking to apply for a litigation position afterwards, etc? Couldn't find much online. Thanks!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Pre-lit practice group at a small law firm

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Never heard of pre-lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:06 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Never heard of pre-lit?
Are you asking if I've never heard or saying you haven't haha

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:49 pm

I've definitely never heard of such thing as a pre-litigation practice group.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:56 pm

2016lawgrad wrote:What's the general consensus on how it is, how it looks when you are looking to apply for a litigation position afterwards, etc? Couldn't find much online. Thanks!
Op, Is this like a pre-trial practice group? Like the group handles the discovery, law and motion stuff, etc. but not actual trial/mediation/arbitration?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 am

hangtime813 wrote:
2016lawgrad wrote:What's the general consensus on how it is, how it looks when you are looking to apply for a litigation position afterwards, etc? Couldn't find much online. Thanks!
Op, Is this like a pre-trial practice group? Like the group handles the discovery, law and motion stuff, etc. but not actual trial/mediation/arbitration?
Yeah i think it's not a practice group, I miswrote. I guess they do split the work and a few experienced attorneys go to trial and they were hiring for people to just do pre-trial stuff.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hangtime813 wrote:
Yeah i think it's not a practice group, I miswrote. I guess they do split the work and a few experienced attorneys go to trial and they were hiring for people to just do pre-trial stuff.
So they are hiring a contract attorney to do doc review? Thats what it sounds like.

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 am

grades?? wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hangtime813 wrote:
So they are hiring a contract attorney to do doc review? Thats what it sounds like.
Not really. A lot of personal injury plaintiffs firms have large departments of people who grab settlements without litigating and call it a pre-lit practice group. It's not uncommon.

I'm sure it won't hurt to have it on a resume, but I'd write out what you did--i.e. Interviews, insurance reports, demand letters etc., and not focus on what it's called.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hangtime813 wrote:
If that is the case I would say this is pretty normal and shouldn't affect lateral options unless you are obviously trying to lateral to a firm which goes to trial a lot...if you get get substantive experience doing law and motion and discovery, you are doing 90% litigation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”