I messed up pretty badly and still want biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
law355

New

I messed up pretty badly and still want biglaw

Post by law355 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Delete
Last edited by law355 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: I messed up pretty badly and still want biglaw

Post by rpupkin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:02 pm

1. Stop obsessing over your law school grades. 80% of your post is about your grades.

2. Keep mass mailing.

3. Start networking. Attend bar association events. Get involved in shit where big-law lawyers show up.

Good luck.

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Re: I messed up pretty badly and still want biglaw

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Bid, talk less about your grades, and apply to firms that do litigation and the practice area you want and leverage your PI experience. My experiences at small firms, and probably yours, is that you will be forced into things you don't understand but have to figure out. Maybe you drafted some dispositive motions that got granted without many edits. Use that and talk about results.

Don't spend time making excuses or discussing your C+ unless asked and then find a believable way to play it off in a relatable way for your interviewer. I had a C+ in Torts my first semester but did all B+ and higher each class thereafter so I used the excuse of it being my first law exam and that always led to a moment where the interviewer would make a small talk joke and moved on.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”