Advice for job seeker in public sector? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice for job seeker in public sector?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 am

I'm a 2016 law school grad, passed the bar. I went to a top 20 school and my grades were decent. I completed a fellowship at a nonprofit legal organization, but they didn't end up hiring me. Now I'm left finding another position.
I want to be a staff attorney at a nonprofit somewhere. I'm also open to government positions or JD advantage positions in the nonprofit sector. I am shying away from small/mid law because I have no experience with them on my resume, and I would rather work for a place that lets me get on loan forgiveness.
I have enough money to last a few months, but of course I'm super nervous and freaked out about not having a job. I don't want to move back with my parents, who live in another state anyway where I can't practice law.
Has anyone out there been in a similar situation before, and if so how did you manage?

Civilservant

New

Re: Advice for job seeker in public sector?

Post by Civilservant » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:01 pm

What kind of work were you doing at the non profit? Staff attorney at a non profit is kind of vague, especially when that role can be so different from place to place. Go on indeed and similar sites, find openings and apply. In the meantime, try to find a way to get some experience. I was in a similar spot, and I got some part time work for a crim defense solo. He paid me for appearance work, I learned from a veteran, it worked out nicely. Good luck!

hokuspokus

New

Post by hokuspokus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:09 pm

I mostly did research and writing. I also have litigation experience from my law school summer positions.
How did you come across freelance work while you were job hunting, and did you eventually find a more permanent position?

Civilservant

New

Post by Civilservant » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 pm

I literally sat in court and approached attorneys. I was somewhat desperate, and I ended up benefiting from it greatly. I do have a permanent government job.

hokuspokus

New

Post by hokuspokus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:28 pm

OP here. As an update,I got a small firm job. It's not what I wanted but the pay is alright and I should be ok for the time being. Good luck to all job seekers out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”