Charitable donations Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Charitable donations

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm a SA at a DC firm. Last week an email went out to associates and SAs raising money for a pro bono organization, and people responded to the email saying how much they wanted to give. Associates were emailing in donations from $100-$300, and SAs started at about $25, and most of the SAs joined in, me included. The organization seems great and I'm happy to support them but wondering a) how common are these sorts of emails and b) it felt like there was pressure to respond and match the others - if others have experienced this, do you also feel this pressure? I don't think I'd get no-offered if I didn't contribute... but I also wonder if they will track it and take that into consideration?

Anonymous User

Re: Charitable donations

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:people responded to the email saying how much they wanted to give.
Massive douche move there on the part of those who replied publicly with the amounts of their contributions. It is possible that one person did and everyone felt somehow pressured to follow up. Either way, it doesn't speak well of the culture of the place. I summered at a DC firm years ago and nothing like that occurred. Charity events mostly consisted of sports events (races, tournaments, etc)

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:people responded to the email saying how much they wanted to give.
Massive douche move there on the part of those who replied publicly with the amounts of their contributions. It is possible that one person did and everyone felt somehow pressured to follow up. Either way, it doesn't speak well of the culture of the place. I summered at a DC firm years ago and nothing like that occurred. Charity events mostly consisted of sports events (races, tournaments, etc)
Sadly many people don't know the difference between "Reply" and "Reply All" or when it's more appropriate to use one or the other.

I've never had anything like that, but then again, I'm at a boutique, and if the partners want to support something, they'll just sponsor an event held by the organization and that money essentially comes out of everyone's pockets. :)

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:10 pm

U should start looking elsewhere

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think I'd get no-offered if I didn't contribute... but I also wonder if they will track it and take that into consideration?
You wouldn't and they don't.

Welcome to office politics, this has nothing to do with it being a law firm and it happens in almost every corporate office in America.

Someone has a charity drive and people can feel "peer pressure" to donate something just to seem like part of the team. No one wants to be known as "that guy" after all who didn't donate.

Applicable Living the Dream episode (highly recommend watching whole series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkQq7U1IIxQ

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Midlevel here. In general this stuff is optional, but about once a year I get browbeat by a partner into donating $300-500 to a specific charity (which I would gladly donate $100-200, even if I resent being forced to donate more).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:10 am

I often get spam internal emails soliciting donations for pet charities/causes, but have never seen anyone reply all with donation amounts - except that occasionally a partner will reply all with an offer to match donations up to some threshold (or the initial email will include such an offer).

I've heard of being pressured to donate at other places, but reply all emails...that sounds terrible. That's basically strongarming subordinates into public groveling. Might as well take the food off your plate at a firmwide dinner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”