Do most people get their job offers before 3L year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CoLolliRol

New

Do most people get their job offers before 3L year?

Post by CoLolliRol » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm thinking about going abroad and working for my 2L summer, wondering if this is a completely dumb decision.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Do most people get their job offers before 3L year?

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:39 pm

What type of job are you trying to get? Assuming it's not Biglaw since you want to go abroad 2L summer, you'll just be hustling during 3L for the other jobs you're trying to get (small firm, DA/PD, etc.) regardless of whether you go abroad or stay domestic.

CoLolliRol

New

Post by CoLolliRol » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:28 am

UVA2B wrote:What type of job are you trying to get? Assuming it's not Biglaw since you want to go abroad 2L summer, you'll just be hustling during 3L for the other jobs you're trying to get (small firm, DA/PD, etc.) regardless of whether you go abroad or stay domestic.
Given my current grades, I doubt I will get big law for my 2L summer. I think I would like to work mid-size law. There are a couple of big-law firms that I would like to work, however I know I would need to get my grades up.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:46 am

CoLolliRol wrote:
UVA2B wrote:What type of job are you trying to get? Assuming it's not Biglaw since you want to go abroad 2L summer, you'll just be hustling during 3L for the other jobs you're trying to get (small firm, DA/PD, etc.) regardless of whether you go abroad or stay domestic.
Given my current grades, I doubt I will get big law for my 2L summer. I think I would like to work mid-size law. There are a couple of big-law firms that I would like to work, however I know I would need to get my grades up.
If you want to work for any midlaw or biglaw firm, you need to be working hustling to get a job with them for 2L summer. Going abroad would be a huge mistake unless it means working for a biglaw office abroad. The majority of biglaw and midlaw hiring will be through 2L SA positions, and you'd be incredibly fortunate to get something as a 3L. If your grades aren't competitive for biglaw at your school, honestly it'll be even tougher with most midlaw firms. You need to network your butt off and try to get an in at every possible job opportunity you have. Now is not the time to be picky. Now is the time to ingratiate yourself with every firm that could possibly hire you.

Good luck!

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 pm

UVA2B wrote:Going abroad would be a huge mistake unless it means working for a biglaw office abroad.
^^^^^

OP, do not go abroad. Going abroad during law school is for people who already have employment secured for after graduation.

If you do not have employment guaranteed post graduation, you should be using your time every semester/summer networking and reaching out to alumni in firms, etc, trying to get yourself employed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”