DF Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mickfromgm

Bronze

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Post by Mickfromgm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:37 pm

"Anything you say, big boi"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.
I think you proved it is
I proved what is what? That "will do" is obsequious? Is it only junior lawyers who think like this? You're a completely inexperienced, unqualified lawyer and a new person in an office (if you are a summer associate). It's not obsequious to say "will do" or something like it when asked by someone who is, in effect, your boss, to do a task. If you followed "will do" with "and then please could I lick your boots?" THAT would obsequious (inter alia). As in most businesses and offices, there is a hierarchy here, and you're at the bottom. It's not a place of shame, no one thinks less of you; but your role is to be given tasks by people senior to you in experience, and to accept them.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Lol

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:53 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Lol

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Post by LurkerTurnedMember » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.
I think you proved it is
I proved what is what? That "will do" is obsequious? Is it only junior lawyers who think like this? You're a completely inexperienced, unqualified lawyer and a new person in an office (if you are a summer associate). It's not obsequious to say "will do" or something like it when asked by someone who is, in effect, your boss, to do a task. If you followed "will do" with "and then please could I lick your boots?" THAT would obsequious (inter alia). As in most businesses and offices, there is a hierarchy here, and you're at the bottom. It's not a place of shame, no one thinks less of you; but your role is to be given tasks by people senior to you in experience, and to accept them.
I agree. There's no shame in being a bottom. Some guys are tops, some are bottoms. No big deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

You're joking, right? You actually hold it against your junior associates when they say "Got it" or "Sounds good" in response to an assignment?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Do not like =\= hold using it against someone.

Obviously DF does not like "will do" or he wouldn't have started this thread.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do not like =\= hold using it against someone.

I dunno. I just assume that everything DF says is a minor-league troll attempt.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:16 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do not like =\= hold using it against someone.

I dunno. I just assume that everything DF says is a minor-league troll attempt.
Well sure, but he wouldn't be so successful if he didn't latch onto kernels of truth a lot of the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

A moment of silence for the juniors working under this self-righteous cheesedick.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

You're joking, right? You actually hold it against your junior associates when they say "Got it" or "Sounds good" in response to an assignment?
You know how you know law students? Some of them become lawyers. And then some of them become senior associates.

I don't think this should be surprising at all.

Diplock1

New

Post by Diplock1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: as a senior associate
(inter alia)
lol

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

I think you proved it is
Very impressive, bro. You managed to show that you are stupid, autistic, deluded and an insufferably bad manager in two short posts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Roger that.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:30 pm

notgreat wrote:Very impressive, bro. You managed to show that you are stupid, autistic, deluded and an insufferably bad manager in two short posts.
Sounds good

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:50 pm

I have used "sounds good" in probably a quarter of my e-mails so far. No offer?

RufusShinra

New

Post by RufusShinra » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:08 am

Consider it done.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 am

notgreat wrote: Very impressive, bro. You managed to show that you are stupid, autistic, deluded and an insufferably bad manager in two short posts.
inter alia

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 am

RufusShinra wrote:Consider it done.
I do not like "consider it done." If I'm asking you to do something, I want you to do that thing. When a junior associate responds "consider it done," they are suggesting to me that the thing is already done, and that it therefore doesn't need doing at all. I consider this a challenge to my authority.

So please do not tell me to "consider it done" when I clearly believe that the "it" is undone or underdone.
Last edited by rpupkin on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 am

Aight, bet.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:55 am

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

If you didn't make sure to tell us that this is a serious post, I would have assumed it was satire. "Got it" and "on it" are too abrupt and sound like the sender is annoyed, but "OK" and "Sure" are not too abrupt and convey giddiness at having received the assignment?

You kind of sound like the biglaw senior associate horror stories here: "The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it." Yea, you're supervising the juniors, but that doesn't make you their master. They are only doing it because they approve of it (although, "sounds good" and "sounds like a plan" are simply ways of saying, "Yea, I'll do it" and are not comments on the work itself). If they didn't approve of doing it, they would turn the work down. :lol:

Yea, you're a senior associate, but you still can't force anyone to do work. They still have to actually be willing to do it. You sound like a person on a power trip here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:00 am

rpupkin wrote:
RufusShinra wrote:Consider it done.
I do not like "consider it done." If I'm asking you to do something, I want you to do that thing. When a junior associate responds "consider it done," they are suggesting to me that the thing is already done, and that it therefore doesn't need doing at all. I consider this a challenge to my authority.

So please do not tell me to "consider it done" when I clearly believe that the "it" is undone or underdone.
It is not a challenge to your authority. Rather, it is the junior's way of saying, "I am so reliable that you might as well consider anything you give to me as done because I won't let you down." They are professing their loyalty to you. You should be flattered and immediately make them your right-hand man.

However, "sounds like a plan" definitely challenges your authority and manhood. They are refusing to affirm that you, in fact, gave them an actual plan. Rather, they are only willing to admit that it sounds like a plan, but they must make the determination of whether or not it is actually a plan. This puts them in the driver seat, and it means that they are looking to cut you off at the knees. Be very wary of associates who use that response. I recommend subtly putting them in their place by not acknowledging them the next time you see them. Bonus points if you say hello to an associate standing in their general vicinity while not acknowledging them.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:27 am

"Fine, motherfvck3r, have it your way" (in your best Samuel Jackson voice)

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:25 am

(Anon senior associate giving a summer a bad review because the summer said he looks forward to working with him)
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:(Anon senior associate giving a summer a bad review because the summer said he looks forward to working with him)
well it shows that the summer a) still thinks he has agency, and b) has bad judgment, because no one looks forward to working with anon

i'd no offer tbh

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”