Grade drop after fall semester and 1L firm job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grade drop after fall semester and 1L firm job

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 5:19 pm

I was lucky enough to get a 1l diversity position at a satellite office of a v40 with median grades after 1st semester. So far i have 2 grades back, both B's so below my t14s 3.3 median. The firm only has a couple of 1ls every year and they both got offers to come back. Also 100% offer rate for 2ls on vault. Should i be worried about a GPA drop from a 3.3 to a 3.1ish and how that affects my chances of getting an offer back or should i take solace in the 2l offer rate?

Not just asking for personal wellbeing, i was planning on returning to this firm and bidding at OCI accordingly. If i should be worried about my chances of getting an offer back my bidding strategy changes quite a bit.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Re: Grade drop after fall semester and 1L firm job

Post by favabeansoup » Wed May 31, 2017 9:55 am

Generally the firm will not care about your grade drops. Once you have the summer, they are looking more towards fit and ability to competently complete projects.

There are exceptions though. A small few offices are known for intense GPA requirements even after summer, but you'd know if you were at a place like that.

Other times bad grades are a convenient excuse for a firm to no offer you if they already decided to no offer you for other reasons. E.g, a partner or two doesn't end up liking you, but they don't want to say that so they say "bad grades." This is pretty rare though, just be nice and friendly at the firm.

So don't slack off completely, get halfway decent grades going forward and you'll be fine. I went from like top 1/3 to below median and no one even asked me about it

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”