Checking Out After 1L Year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cron1834

Gold

Re: Checking Out After 1L Year

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:42 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:LMAO at the TLS flock making sure you really hit the Fed Courts books hard in the last two carefree years of your life before 40 shitty ones in this profession.
What a dumb response. No one suggested this. Just take classes that are easy, or classes that get good grade distributions, or credits you can do for a Pass. That way you can slack off without cratering your GPA.
See, the thing is, I'm saying that he shouldn't care even if he DOES crater his GPA, because the 1% chance it ever matters for the average person (clerking doesn't matter) doesn't justify anything beyond the bare minimum required to graduate.

But law studenrs and lawyers, being the tortured souls they are, will probably feel different.
I don't know. If OP were at Columbia, I would probably agree with you. I just think you get cut less slack outside of T14. People change jobs, too. Maybe I'm wrong, but.

cardo2019

New

Post by cardo2019 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Its all risk, reward. If you're checking out, use your time wisely

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:53 pm

I wouldn't slack until you get an offer. Almost everyone slacks at least a little bit 3L. The only exceptions I can see for 3LOLing:

- If something like the following applies to you: "I'm going into law for the $$$"/"I'm going into lit because that's what all my friends are doing"/etc. In which case you should keep your grades up as high as possible, because the likelihood that you'll be thinking "I've been in biglaw/lit/corporate/whatever for six months and I need to bail" will be pretty high. In which case your grades are your best chance lateraling out of your job and into something that fits you better (even if you go into something completely different).

- I would never slack down a whole point (e.g., 3.8 to 2.8 ). If you end first semester of 2L with a 3.8 and you end your law school tenure with a 3.5 it's not the end of the world, but don't push it.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 pm

It is really not that difficult to maintain your GPA/class rank 2L and 3L. Not working hard and maintaining your grades aren't mutually exclusive. You can select easy classes and the curves are much more generous. In a lot of classes, especially smaller ones, like half the class gets A- or above. Everyone else is working much less hard as well.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:51 am

You should be able to manage B+s with relative ease and little work. Those will suffice, I imagine. You may occasionally even fall into an A- or A here or there and not know how the fuck you even pulled it off. Just screen your classes to make sure there are good outlines available. A few low stress lib-arts-esque seminars where you can shit out a paper with ease.

I know someone who throughtly checked out after killing it 1L. Now he is 3rd year at a V20 currently looking to lateral. They still ask for your transcript, and he said it was "a bit embarrassing" to show his post-1L B littered grades, but mostly seems to be just that "a little." So I imagine that you should try to not raise eyebrows with the grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”