V20 NYC lateral to Texas with no ties? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V20 NYC lateral to Texas with no ties?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 7:31 pm

I am a second year associate at a V20 in NYC and have been doing a mix of corporate work, but lately mostly Lev Fin and Cap Markets. I graduated from a T6 school with decent grades and have no ties to Texas, but have read several articles about how money goes so much further there and have been exploring the possibility of relocating there. Does anyone have any experience with the Texas lateral market from NYC, particularly absent any ties to Texas? I understand that the Texas lateral market is active right now, but not at all sure what kind of a chance someone would have coming from NYC with no ties. If anyone has been in this situation and could offer any advice, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has lateraled from NYC to Texas and could tell me about their experience, that would be great! I understand that given that I have not been practicing for 5 years, I would need to take the Texas bar - do people generally just do the whole Barbri course all over again? I also understand the Austin market is small and definitely requires ties, but as between Houston or Dallas, I would really have no preference.

magnum_law

Bronze

Re: V20 NYC lateral to Texas with no ties?

Post by magnum_law » Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm

"meet" a "financé" who is "from Texas"

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Tue May 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Make up some ties dude. The lateral market is pretty hot down here. KE in Houston was expanding like everyday. Not sure if that is the case still. I can't really give any other insight.

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Wed May 17, 2017 12:12 am

Come up with a good reason to want to be in Texas (and doing sophisticated work with a better quality of life, better place to settle down and raise a family, etc. are all good reasons). Apply. See what happens.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 12:19 am

Just wanna say for the fiance/fiancee thing. I interviewed in Dallas and they asked significant questions about my partner. Like what city she's from (not just "dallas" but more specific) and what high school she went to. So do your significant other thing but just do your research if you want to walk down that path.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanna say for the fiance/fiancee thing. I interviewed in Dallas and they asked significant questions about my partner. Like what city she's from (not just "dallas" but more specific) and what high school she went to. So do your significant other thing but just do your research if you want to walk down that path.
during my OCI i had no ties to Texas but did, truly, have a SO from there. was also asked these types of questions. i think firms are smart enough to fish it out and will make sure you are being sincere.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed May 17, 2017 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanna say for the fiance/fiancee thing. I interviewed in Dallas and they asked significant questions about my partner. Like what city she's from (not just "dallas" but more specific) and what high school she went to. So do your significant other thing but just do your research if you want to walk down that path.
Seriously, don't make up a fiancee. Texas offices aren't some megaoffice with 500 attorneys in NYC where you can remain anonymous. There's a very high probability people will be asking to meet said "fiancee."

Texas is a far less insular market than it used to be. If you have a genuine desire to come to Texas and appropriate credentials, you have a pretty decent shot at finding something ties or no. Make sure you've spent some time in Houston and Dallas first though. Some people have a strong preference for one or the other and it's best to know if you do up front.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed May 17, 2017 9:10 am

Be prepared for a massive cultural difference. Austin will be very difficult to break into without ties, but Dallas and Houston, not so much. New people are flooding into Dallas every day, so with the right credentials and work experience, lack of ties shouldn't be a big issue.

Come visit in July and August before you decide to move, though.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Wed May 17, 2017 4:54 pm

I too agree that making up a fiancee is stupid and you will get asked specific questions about it. We generally care about people here in Texas and tend to not treat their personal lives as irrelevant after an initial interview.

Also, 100% agree that you should probably like visit the state a few times throughout the year to see if you would, you know, actually like it here?

There's a big difference in moving from NYC to Texas, and there is a big difference between living in Dallas and Houston. If you are moving solely because the COL is cheaper, you are signing yourself up to be miserable. There's a lot of reasons to move here, but it shouldn't just be for financial reasons.

Besides that, lateral market is fine imo. You should be able to find something if you try hard enough and can convince people of actual desire to move.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”