Lateral Transfer - Low GPA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
justmeinthed

New

Lateral Transfer - Low GPA

Post by justmeinthed » Wed May 10, 2017 3:40 pm

I work in a small boutique firm. Senior partner has accepted a position at big law. He wants to bring me with him. My GPA is low. I worked through law school and didn't worry about my grades. First generation college student. Now I realize, I should have got the higher GPA. I have an offer from BigLaw that will be forth coming contingent on all the normal background checks. How do I get around a bad transcript that is 10 years old. I assume they will get that as part of the process. Do I discuss with my current partner - he doesn't know my GPA since a transcript wasn't required when I got hired in here as a lateral. Should I wait until get transcript and then discuss with them? Should I not even worry about it?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Lateral Transfer - Low GPA

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed May 10, 2017 3:42 pm

justmeinthed wrote:I work in a small boutique firm. Senior partner has accepted a position at big law. He wants to bring me with him. My GPA is low. I worked through law school and didn't worry about my grades. First generation college student. Now I realize, I should have got the higher GPA. I have an offer from BigLaw that will be forth coming contingent on all the normal background checks. How do I get around a bad transcript that is 10 years old. I assume they will get that as part of the process. Do I discuss with my current partner - he doesn't know my GPA since a transcript wasn't required when I got hired in here as a lateral. Should I wait until get transcript and then discuss with them? Should I not even worry about it?
Transcript won't come up in the background check. You're fine.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm

These checks are often mandated by malpractice insurance policies, and to protect them from risks - i.e. hiring someone whose potentially dangerous to their coworkers or disbarred. No one's going to argue that the firm was negligent to hire you for bad grades. Even if you have a 0.0 gpa, they could argue you passed the bar and have experience. If there was any any question about this, it would come up and I think your school will probably have to notify you first? No non-lawyer will think to look at your transcript. The main priority is to make sure the firm won't get f'd hiring you.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed May 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Background check will be financial and potentially criminal. As far as I know, you can't get a transcript in background check. Anyway, they won't secretly care and secretly try to get your transcript. If it were a problem, they would have asked long ago.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Wed May 10, 2017 5:56 pm

justmeinthed wrote:I work in a small boutique firm. Senior partner has accepted a position at big law. He wants to bring me with him....Should I not even worry about it?
^

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”