Does stub year count as experience? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gaddockteeg

Bronze

Does stub year count as experience?

Post by gaddockteeg » Tue May 09, 2017 4:26 pm

When you see lateral job postings looking for X number of years of experience, does the 4 months of stub year count?

I realize it's not a big deal. Just wondering.

jess

Re: Does stub year count as experience?

Post by jess » Tue May 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue May 09, 2017 4:52 pm

jess wrote:Does four months count as one year of experience? lol
:lol:

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Tue May 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Pretty sure OP means will he have 1 year of experience 8 months into his first full year (or 2 years of experience 8 months into his second full year, and so on), or does he have to wait until the end of the first full year. I think it's pretty clear that he won't be considered to have two years of experience from first year + stub year

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes. It counts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue May 09, 2017 5:19 pm

yea why wouldn't it?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Tue May 09, 2017 5:35 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:
Pretty sure OP means will he have 1 year of experience 8 months into his first full year (or 2 years of experience 8 months into his second full year, and so on), or does he have to wait until the end of the first full year. I think it's pretty clear that he won't be considered to have two years of experience from first year + stub year
Yep.

Sorry if that wasnt clear but I thought it was obvious.
ballouttacontrol wrote:yea why wouldn't it?
Basically wondering if I have "two years experience" by August, or not until January.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue May 09, 2017 10:52 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
Yep.

Basically wondering if I have "two years experience" by August, or not until January.
January imo

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Tue May 09, 2017 10:56 pm

This discussion is largely academic because no one will turn you away if you are qualified for a job but short by 2-3 months of the requested experience. Job listings include a description of an ideal candidate; it doesn't reflect the actual person they would be willing to hire on the lower end of the spectrum. But the short answer is, yes, absolutely you can count the stubby.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
Yep.

You'll have two years experience 24 months after your first month of working

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 pm

"So tell us Jim: Our job posting clearly said we require 2 years of experience, but it's October 2017 and this says you started at Big Asshole Firm in September 2015. What makes you think you have the requisite experience?"

Said no one ever

ETA: If they were that pedantic/cared that much then (a) don't work there and (ii) they would have said "c/o 2014 or earlier" or something like that.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Wed May 10, 2017 10:14 am

Mlk&Ckies wrote:"So tell us Jim: Our job posting clearly said we require 2 years of experience, but it's October 2017 and this says you started at Big Asshole Firm in September 2015. What makes you think you have the requisite experience?"

Said no one ever

ETA: If they were that pedantic/cared that much then (a) don't work there and (ii) they would have said "c/o 2014 or earlier" or something like that.

"Hiring Mid-level associates with 2-4 years experience." I think this can be interpreted both ways.
Mickfromgm wrote:This discussion is largely academic because no one will turn you away if you are qualified for a job but short by 2-3 months of the requested experience. Job listings include a description of an ideal candidate; it doesn't reflect the actual person they would be willing to hire on the lower end of the spectrum. But the short answer is, yes, absolutely you can count the stubby.
I agree. I acknowledged the "academic" part of it at the start.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone; my general takeaway is "yes, it counts."

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Wed May 10, 2017 11:45 am

3|ink wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
Yep.

January imo
No.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed May 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:"So tell us Jim: Our job posting clearly said we require 2 years of experience, but it's October 2017 and this says you started at Big Asshole Firm in September 2015. What makes you think you have the requisite experience?"

Said no one ever

Whether the firm would accept his application with less than the requisite experience is a different question. The OP asked whether he can represent that he has two years of experience. At best he should say "about two years."

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 pm

why are non idiots in this thread saying that it doesnt count. you become a second year a year after you started.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Wed May 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Nebby wrote: You'll have two years experience 24 months after your first month of working
Actually, it would be 23 months after your first month of working. You'd have two years experience 24 months after your first second of working.

mercymainbtw

Bronze

Post by mercymainbtw » Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 pm

how does time work

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Barrred wrote:
Nebby wrote: You'll have two years experience 24 months after your first month of working
Actually, it would be 23 months after your first month of working. You'd have two years experience 24 months after your first second of working.
low quality post

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 11, 2017 1:14 am

gaddockteeg wrote:When you see lateral job postings looking for X number of years of experience, does the 4 months of stub year count?
It doesn't matter if it counts. If you see an associate position you're interested in that asks for 1-2 years of experience, and if you have 8 months of experience, apply. The fact that the firm is willing to go as low as 1 year of experience means that they're fine hiring a junior associate. If they otherwise like your application, they're not going to bounce you because you've only worked 9 months instead of 12 months (or 20 months instead of 24 months or whatever). Always apply if you're interested in the job, even if you're a few months short of the experience range.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu May 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:why are non idiots in this thread saying that it doesnt count. you become a second year a year after you started.
I didn't become a second year until Jan. I was a "1st year associate" for 16 months.
rpupkin wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:When you see lateral job postings looking for X number of years of experience, does the 4 months of stub year count?
It doesn't matter if it counts. If you see an associate position you're interested in that asks for 1-2 years of experience, and if you have 8 months of experience, apply. The fact that the firm is willing to go as low as 1 year of experience means that they're fine hiring a junior associate. If they otherwise like your application, they're not going to bounce you because you've only worked 9 months instead of 12 months (or 20 months instead of 24 months or whatever). Always apply if you're interested in the job, even if you're a few months short of the experience range.
That's fair. I think the issue for me is whether I can call myself a mid-level already for application purposes.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Thu May 11, 2017 3:56 pm

You become a second year when the first years start, you just don't get paid like it till January

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mercymainbtw

Bronze

Post by mercymainbtw » Thu May 11, 2017 3:57 pm

but your firm is billing you out at second year rates, guaranteed

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Thu May 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Say I started in Fall 2014, and have now worked about 2 years and 7 months. There is no doubt I'm a 3rd year associate. But when lateral positions are asking for at least 3 years of experience (instead of asking for a 3rd year associate), do I qualify for the position?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 11, 2017 4:18 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Say I started in Fall 2014, and have now worked about 2 years and 7 months. There is no doubt I'm a 3rd year associate. But when lateral positions are asking for at least 3 years of experience (instead of asking for a 3rd year associate), do I qualify for the position?
See my post above.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”